[SOLVED] Critical Structure Corruption, BSOD - hardware related.

Sep 16, 2019
Hello!

I recently started experiencing issues with various crashes. It was different types of BSOD, and I at that time thought it was software/driver related. I tried a lot of things, and had issues booting into Windows, which I assumed meant that one or more of my hard drives might have gotten corrupted, so I wiped the hard drive, containing the OS, and did a completely new installation of Windows.

That seemed to fix all issues, and worked perfectly fine for a few days.

That is, until today. I was writing an email when I suddenly got a BSOD with 'Critical Structure Corruption'. It is worth noting that I haven't had any issues with crashes when gaming or rendering files for work. It always comes at the most random time.

This leads me to believe that it's a hardware issue. I did install new components two months ago. An additional GPU, a new PSU, new motherboard, new RAM (64GB) - so basically a new computer. I'm just guessing to what hardware might be faulty. I've run a memory diagnostics which ran without issues. What can I do next? Do I simply try to take things out, and see if it works? It's hard to tell since the crashes seem random, and that there is far between them (1-2 days).

I've attached a minidump file .dmp of the crash log. I don't know how to read or make sense of it, but hopefully someone talented here can help me out.

https://we.tl/t-wS17Rjvp28

I really appreciate any help as I'm quite at a loss. Never experienced anything like this.

Thank you!

EDIT: I managed to extract some information from the .dmp file:

Dump FileCrash TimeBug Check StringBug Check CodeParameter 1Parameter 2Parameter 3Parameter 4Caused By DriverCaused By AddressFile DescriptionProduct NameCompanyFile VersionProcessorCrash AddressStack Address 1Stack Address 2Stack Address 3Computer NameFull PathProcessors CountMajor VersionMinor VersionDump File SizeDump File Time
112919-17375-01.dmp2019-11-29 00:18:550x00000109a3a011dcc7d8d773[/TD] [TD]b3b71e631a572024fffff8065a8fffc4[/TD] [TD]0000000000000001ntoskrnl.exentoskrnl.exe+1c14e0NT Kernel & SystemMicrosoft® Windows® Operating SystemMicrosoft Corporation10.0.18362.476 (WinBuild.160101.0800)x64ntoskrnl.exe+1c14e0C:\Windows\Minidump\112919-17375-01.dmp2415183621 184 4602019-11-29 00:20:50

/Night

Solution
what are specs of the PC?
new wireless drivers might help
new webcam driver might help

First 3 kaspersky drivers are lying about their age, say they from 1975. Um, no... I don't blame them for anything, i just look at old drivers and they sort of stood out. Kaspersky looks recent since you got November files and even some from 2035 but once again, it lies about its age.

csrss.exe = c;lient services - User services. Its the service windows uses for your user.

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what memory diagnostic? the one in windows?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

I will ask someone to convert dump files

Have you tested storage drives as well?

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/zUuX.html

File information:112919-17375-01.dmp (Nov 28 2019 - 18:18:55)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 49 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?
new wireless drivers might help
new webcam driver might help

First 3 kaspersky drivers are lying about their age, say they from 1975. Um, no... I don't blame them for anything, i just look at old drivers and they sort of stood out. Kaspersky looks recent since you got November files and even some from 2035 but once again, it lies about its age.

csrss.exe = c;lient services - User services. Its the service windows uses for your user.

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I can't really tell from the error. Its blaming a win 8 driver but debugger sees any win 10 driver as win 8, so that doesn't tell me a lot.

Solution
Sep 16, 2019
Hi Colif & Gardenman,

so about my late reply. Yes, I tried the build-in Windows Memory Diagnostics and that came back without any indications of any errors. I downloaded, flashed and ran 4x memtest86 - no errors.

I have tested the storage drives running the cmd chkdsk - but that's it. Anything else I can do? It's worth mentioning that I did a completely wipe (BIOS) of the hard drive that I reinstalled windows on.

Here are the specs of the PC:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3,8GHz Socket AM4
2x 8GB MSI GeForce RTX 2080 AERO
2x G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Trident (64 GB)
be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W
ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, S-AM4
SSD 1000GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD
Wireless ASUS PCE-AC68

Do I need to manually download a wireless driver? I don't have a webcam installed at the moment.

I've also run SFC /scannow + Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

I haven't experienced any crashes yet - but I'll keep you updated if this should have resolved my issue. The crashes seem quite random, and there tend to be a few days in between.

I really appreciate the help!

/Night