[SOLVED] Critique My Build

Retribution

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
According to my brother the 3900x comes with a cpu fan already, I'm planning to get a new gaming set up and this what I came up with. What are your thoughts are there similar parts that can perform the same and less costly? I love dual monitor setups that why I have two of the monitors listed in my build.

I tend to run multiple android emulators and my Intel I7 6700K seems sluggish when it comes to it.

Last edited:
Solution
Since we're all suggesting lists, I guess I'll suggest mine.
Under 4-5K Canadian (Including dual monitors), my current desktop has 32GB I don't want to go any lower than that. I use my computer for video editing, photo editing, and gaming. I want the option to be able to stream but not a lot.

Even when I'm running one android emulator I get erratic frame rate drops in games like League of Legends for example goes from 60FPS -> 12 ->30 -> 60. and my current one runs at 32GB of ram with I7 6700K.
Here's something for around your budget, and leaves you room to 64GB if you really need it. But I doubt that, and I think it was the 6700K's 4 cores and 8 threads which was at fault for the frame drops.

Canadian prices eh? Ok...
3900X does have a stock cooler (I think) but it probably wont be good enough. Just get a 3600 or 3600X and use the extra money to get a 2080 super, assuming you are gaming. You'll most likely end up GPU bound anyways. Also if you are gaming get 2x8gb kit of memory, at 3200 c14 or 3600 c14 if you want to spend a lot of money on it

850W is overkill. Get a 650W unit at MOST.

Last edited:

Retribution

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Great build as you know.

I have a 3800x Asus TUF x570 and Asus ROG 2070 Super with PG279Q. Gaming is smooth and silky and nice rich colors. Really fast PC all around.

If you want the 3900x that's fine but for gaming there is little benefit when compared to the cost.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPSIxyDqsg

Hmmm I only chose the 3900x cause I thought its the latest and greatest for gaming. But if there isn't much between the 3900x and 3800x for gaming I should downgrade then ?

Retribution

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
What is your system budget? For a gaming rig, 64gb ram is a waste. 16gb is enough, with 32 being ok, for some longevity. The 3900x is ok, if you wish to stream gameplay. If just straight up gaming, not really worth it.
Under 4-5K Canadian (Including dual monitors), my current desktop has 32GB I don't want to go any lower than that. I use my computer for video editing, photo editing, and gaming. I want the option to be able to stream but not a lot.

If running a lot of android emulators takes more than 16gb you could also get a 2x16 kit, but 4x16 is also probably overkill, and your motherboards memory topology (which iirc is daisy chain) would have trouble handling it at high frequency.

Even when I'm running one android emulator I get erratic frame rate drops in games like League of Legends for example goes from 60FPS -> 12 ->30 -> 60. and my current one runs at 32GB of ram with I7 6700K.

Thats probably not your ram, but just to see if it is, Id suggest a 2x16gb kit with a new build and then buy two more 16gb sticks if you really need it (or even better return the old 2x16gb kit and get a 4x16gb kit if you can).

Still, a 3900X is completely overkill when paired with a 2070 super. Just get a 3700X. Also those monitors are a waste of money as well. You can get a 1440p144hz ips 1ms freesync (but works quite well on g sync) monitor for 350 dollars. (Acer vg271u), which is under half what you pay for those asus rog monitors, sacrificing just 21hz refresh rate

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Cut the ram in half and use the funds for a better cpu cooler. A better than stock cpu cooler is always a good idea, and unless you're planning on using this as a server, I really doubt you'd even need the whole 32gb of ram let alone 64. You could easily get away with a lesser PSU, but if you have the budget, that one will last you through a few upgraded components with plenty of overhead space and I really discourage saving a buck on the PSU.

Cut the ram in half and use the funds for a better cpu cooler. A better than stock cpu cooler is always a good idea, and unless you're planning on using this as a server, I really doubt you'd even need the whole 32gb of ram let alone 64. You could easily get away with a lesser PSU, but if you have the budget, that one will last you through a few upgraded components with plenty of overhead space and I really discourage saving a buck on the PSU.
An 850W psu is completely overkill unless you do dual GPU. Most single GPU systems will draw less than 400 or 500W, and this wont change because chips are getting more power efficient, not less

Retribution

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Thats probably not your ram, but just to see if it is, Id suggest a 2x16gb kit with a new build and then buy two more 16gb sticks if you really need it (or even better return the old 2x16gb kit and get a 4x16gb kit if you can).

Still, a 3900X is completely overkill when paired with a 2070 super. Just get a 3700X. Also those monitors are a waste of money as well. You can get a 1440p144hz ips 1ms freesync (but works quite well on g sync) monitor for 350 dollars. (Acer vg271u), which is under half what you pay for those asus rog monitors, sacrificing just 21hz refresh rate

This is my current computer so I guess i'll swap the 3900x for 3700x. Are those monitors close able to tilt forward/backwards? Also what motherboard would be able to handle 64gb of ram cause I think it says it can handle up to 128gb of ram hmm..

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
An 850W psu is completely overkill unless you do dual GPU. Most single GPU systems will draw less than 400 or 500W, and this wont change because chips are getting more power efficient, not less
Mostly true, but as common with next gen chips, they will draw more and more power until the next generation. Look at the fx 95 series chips compared to the 83 series for example. We are still pretty new into the current generation and I figure the am4 socket will be pushing a lot of power through their later generations. Same with the current GPUs. PSUs are relatively inexpensive and the one OP is an excellent unit, the 850 would be much more future proof in the computer world than a 650.
Also running multiple gpus might come back in style if they can find a easier workaround with data allocation between multiple cards. I consider the price difference in power supplies to be more substantial to quality than most other components. But that's just imo.

Reactions: extreme_noob
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.86 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC HYBRID GAMING Video Card ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1953.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-17 17:19 EST-0500

Reactions: extreme_noob
Even if the monitors dont have forward/back tilt (but im mostly sure they do), you can get a cheap 30 dollar dual monitor vesa stand that does, and it would still be worth it.
The motherboard can handle the capacity of the ram, but it would have trouble with the 4 dimms. 2x32 will do better than 4x16 because of your motherboards daisy chain topology, because one set of dimms is physically farther away than the other, causing issues in timings. T topology is better at 4 dimms, but it still cant really handle high frequencies well. And anyways third gen ryzen memory controller will probably have trouble with 4 dimms.

Buildzoid made a video on this
View: https://youtu.be/3vQwGGbW1AE

Since we're all suggesting lists, I guess I'll suggest mine.

Here's something for around your budget, and leaves you room to 64GB if you really need it. But I doubt that, and I think it was the 6700K's 4 cores and 8 threads which was at fault for the frame drops.

Canadian prices eh? Ok.
PCpartpicker List
Built off of this list, but made a few changes (and made it way more expensive), so if you want to get about the same performance for a lower price, then get Archaic's list. If you want to spend your whole budget, this may be better.
First off, I replaced the motherboard with a lower priced elite, which has a similar VRM but less debug features. Should still be fine for a 3800X though. I replaced the ram with B die 3600Mhz memory, in case you ever want to tweak that. But even if you don't, the tighter timings should serve you well. PCIe 3.0 drive instead of 4.0, but if you do need it, you can have it and still be within budget. RTX 2080 Ti, but if you want to be more oriented to price to performance, you should 2080 Super. I included the two monitors too. The H150i is really just there if you want to do some overclocking, which is also why I added a 3800X, as it is binned higher than a 3700X. If you don't think you'll every overclock, a 3700X with an NH-U12S or BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 should be fine, or if you don't mind noise you can just run with the stock cooler.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RWxx27

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($493.25 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($282.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($409.00 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($157.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1809.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Monitor: Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($509.36 @ Amazon Canada)
Monitor: Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($509.36 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $4620.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-17 18:36 EST-0500

Last edited:
Solution

Retribution

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Canadian prices eh? Ok.
PCpartpicker List
Looking at that list I think I would change it to 9900K or 9900KS. My reasoning being the disadvantages of 9900K is cost but that doesn't look like a major issue looking at the cost of the build. The other is 9900K requires expensive cooling but you have this in the build anyway. The advantages being higher minimum fps, much higher in some games.

Doesn't the 3700X already come with a cpu cooler? do i really need another one?

I like the case i've chosen more, any reason why you chose that one over the one i picked, is it just preference?

The SSD Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive is it better than the one I chose initially? Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case is mostly preference, but some cases are absolutely terrible for airflow. The case you picked is pretty much fine, because despite not having a mesh front, it still has quite a bit of spacing on the sides of the front panel.
Yes, the MP600 will have significantly more read/write performance over the SATA 3 ssd you chose.
The MP600 will have reads of 4950MB/s and write of 4250 MB/s
The Samsung 860 Evo will have reads of about 550MB/s and writes of 520 MB/s
It's really only useful for video editing, because of the high file sizes involved. Games and operating system will not load any faster.

Looking at that list I think I would change it to 9900K or 9900KS. My reasoning being the disadvantages of 9900K is cost but that doesn't look like a major issue looking at the cost of the build. The other is 9900K requires expensive cooling but you have this in the build anyway. The advantages being higher minimum fps, much higher in some games.
That's a solid suggestion but the 3900X will be better for video editing which was part of the use case. If gaming is more important than video editing, 9900K or KS is good.

Retribution

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Case is mostly preference, but some cases are absolutely terrible for airflow. The case you picked is pretty much fine, because despite not having a mesh front, it still has quite a bit of spacing on the sides of the front panel.
Yes, the MP600 will have significantly more read/write performance over the SATA 3 ssd you chose.
The MP600 will have reads of 4950MB/s and write of 4250 MB/s
The Samsung 860 Evo will have reads of about 550MB/s and writes of 520 MB/s
It's really only useful for video editing, because of the high file sizes involved. Games and operating system will not load any faster.

That's a solid suggestion but the 3900X will be better for video editing which was part of the use case. If gaming is more important than video editing, 9900K or KS is good.

I was informed that Intel sucks at multi-tasking compared to Ryzen that's why I decided to go the Ryzen route so i can run my main game while running emulators on the side without my frames dropping.

Doesn't the 3700X already come with a cpu cooler? do i really need another one?

I like the case i've chosen more, any reason why you chose that one over the one i picked, is it just preference?

The SSD Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive is it better than the one I chose initially? Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Stock coolers are kinda meh...but you can use it if you want. It might get loud under load. Noctua sets the standard for air coolers. Case choice is a very personal thing so it's hard to pick one for somebody else. I got sticker shock at the price of the Obsidian and thought the money could be better spent elsewhere, but get what makes you happy. The X570 boards support PCIe gen 4 so put it to use and get a gen 4 m.2 drive which are the fastest drives available right now. You're paying for the X570 board so use what it offers. A good 650 watt PSU would be enough so a 750 would give plenty of headroom. Here are my goto choices for 750's:
High Quality 750's