Question Crucial SSD MX500 4TB converts from GPT to MBR by itself as external drive!

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Hi guys,

Today I installed my Crucial MX500 SSD 4tb drive into an external enclosure and formatted as GPT NTFS. For some reason after a while, Windows 11 shows error in the filesystem and the system must be rebooted to run filesystem check.
By loooking at the disk into MiniTool Partizion Wizard I found out that the disk switched by itself from GPT to MBR, and splits the 4TB space into 2 partitions of 2TB each.
Crucial Storage Executive software won't even let me format it from inside the software, and so won't disk manager in Windows. MiniTool does let me instead. So I partition and format as GPT NTFS 1 single 4TB partition but then...it happens again! It switches to MBR and Windows scream at me for filesystem errors.
Any idea of what's going on?
I'm using a Sabrent external enclosure which does support 4TB and it never caused any issue with any disk.
The SSD worked fine inside the computer untill today, when I started using it as external drive.
From inside Storage executive "device self-tests" completed successfully.

EDIT: I formatted it by re-connecting it internally into the computer to Sata, but as soon as I install it back again into the SSD external case it messes things up by converting it from GPT to MBR and the drive is NOT visible in file explorer anymore. Ij order to fix that, I have delete the partition, redo the GPT and create a NTFS partition. However, it goes back to MBR after a while...

P.S. Storage Executive didn't even let me format the drive despite being inside the PC and connected to Sata, as if parts of Storage Executive couldn't detect the drive to format it. Other features though could actually see it and showed it as "healthy" and in good condition.

I'm confused!
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: madaraosenpai

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Hoping to save some poor soul out there from getting nuts with this kind of issue, it looks like I have found the culprit: IDrive online backup software, which also allows for local backups. Apparently that was messing up the partition table and everything. It doesn't surprise me really, as that software/service has always been nothing but junk.
I'm now testing GoodSync and it looks like it works like a charm, and no problems with my disk since.

I had also disabled writing cache but the problem persisted. By the way, is it ok to disable write cache in device manager for an external SSD? Transfer speed I get is the same, and Windows suggests to leave it on "off" by default.

In case the issue will present again, I'll post further down here for your kind help.

Thank you!

Reactions: madaraosenpai
EDIT: I formatted it by re-connecting it internally into the computer to Sata, but as soon as I install it back again into the SSD external case it messes things up by converting it from GPT to MBR
Drive connected internally and via external dock uses different sector size settings.
If you switch from external dock to internally connected drive, then you have to repartition and reformat.

Either use it in external dock only or internally only.
Do not switch between external and internal.

Reactions: Maxxify

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Drive connected internally and via external dock uses different sector size settings.
If you switch from external dock to internally connected drive, then you have to repartition and reformat.

Either use it in external dock only or internally only.
Do not switch between external and internal.
I did repartition and format the disk while was into the external enclosure, but eventually the disk becomes unreadable, and shows as RAW in disk management. Cables are ok, enclosure is ok, USB port is ok, and no power loss occured (I have a UPS). Crucial storage Executive reports the unit as 100% healthy and good.
I don't know what to do anymore.

Your enclosure's firmware is configured with a 4KiB sector size. When you remove your drive from the enclosure and attach to a SATA port inside your PC, you expose the drive's native 512B sector size, rendering the file system inaccessible. The partition metadata are still in the same place, but every other sector is out by a factor of 8.

In short, you cannot move the drive between the enclosure and your computer. The first is a 4KB environment, the second is 512B.

That said, DMDE is showing an underlined "F" in the Indicators column for the GUID partition. This means that it has found a problem with the file system's metadata, probably the $MFT. I don't know if this is because you have been swapping between 512B and 4KB environments.

My suggestion is to keep the drive in the enclosure and keep observing it. If you have another error, repost the DMDE screenshot and we'll see if we can narrow down the problem.

Edit: I see that @SkyNetRising has already addressed the sector size issue.

Reactions: TheFlyingCelt

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Connect drive internally and diagnose with manufacturer specific SSD tool.
Crucial storage Executive.

Drive could be defective.
Or enclosure could be causing a problem. Then don't use the enclosure.
Like written above, Crucial Storage Executive reports the unit as 100% healthy and good. It's been working perfectly for 1 year into my PC untill this morning when I decided to use it as external drive.

The enclosure has no issues, as it works with any other drive. I even have just updated its firmware.

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
I've just formatted the SSD once again into the enclosure through Windows Disk Management. It is showing as ok and empty on file explorer now, BUT it is showing as FULL in MiniTool Partition Wizard. How come?

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
What does CHKDSK report? (Don't run it in repair mode.)
I've been partitioning, formatting, moving the drive so many times that I can't even provide a certain answer. When it was converting by itself from GPT to MBR (most likely due to IDrive software) it found many errors in filesystem. But it didn't occur anymore that it switched from GPT to MBR since I stopped using IDrive today. Nevertheless, all of a sudden it either gets not visible in file explorer, or it is visible but with no drive letter, full in minitool partition wizard (100% used) but empty in windows disk management (0% used space).
On top of that, now it's back into the computer to check if it works there as it did until today. I ran diskpart---> clean, initialized the drive, formatted to GPT NTFS but Crucial Storage Executive is telling me there is no compatible unit to format or sanitize from inside the software. (n)
I dunno.....

Last edited:

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
What does CHKDSK report? (Don't run it in repair mode.)
C:\Windows\System32>chkdsk g:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Crucial MX500 4TB.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
256 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 13.02 milliseconds.
0 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.23 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed.
Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.25 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
280 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Phase duration (Index verification): 1.53 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files scanned.
Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 0.22 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 0.19 milliseconds.
0 reparse records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 0.41 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 2.14 milliseconds.
12 data files processed.
Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 0.37 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

3815429 MB total disk space.
52464868 KB in 8 files.
72 KB in 14 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
185443 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
3764013 MB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
976750079 total allocation units on disk.
963587484 allocation units available on disk.
Total duration: 18.80 milliseconds (18 ms).

(this after having formatted for the 987412498 times)