News Crucial's Newest 1 TB SSD Is Just $119

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
Crucial, a memory company known for better pricing rather than high-end products, launched a 1TB BX500 that retails for just $119. Read more here.
01.JPG

MATTHEW CONNATSER
@Talpss177
Matthew Connatser is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers hardware component news.

Last edited:
Reactions: Banned by Net

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Last December, I snagged a 1 TB MX500 for less that $120. I've been looking to grab another, but the price seems trending upwards towards $135.

For those who don't know, the MX series is typically mid-market, while the BX series is their entry-level product.

jpe1701

Honorable
I saw the mx500 for 129 a few days ago on Amazon. I think I would pay the extra $10 for that. Or even the WD blue which was 129 too. This one really isn't that great of a deal next to those. I know it's great how ssd's have come down in price but I really hate the whole "race to the bottom" thing.

Back in 2016, on Black Friday, I got a 1TB Samsung Evo (mainstream drive) for $220, and that was a huge deal. Usually like $300. Now, those drives are near $150, and slowly creeping towards $100. And I don't feel bad about it at all. I can't wait until fast M.2 ones follow suit.

Just like with boot drives SSD's ability to replace the old HD depends largely on price. I'm not going to look at the SSD market for a secondary drive until it about 3rd the capacity to price. That said this drive is touching 4th the capacity which is a good step in the right direction.

I expect HD makers to start competing hard against these types of drives. We are starting to see some 6TB HD's dropping below $130

Last edited:

speedymt

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
Not that great of a price at $119. Purchased a MX500 during the holiday season for $113. Recently purchased two BX500 120GB drives for OS install upgrades on older systems for customers. Both were pleasantly surprised with the performance upgrade.

Reactions: bit_user