Crysis 2 Wins Title of Most Pirated Game of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
There's probably a strong positive correlation between the hardware requirements of a game and the likelihood that people will pirate it.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Probably just for the graphics, because the game-play on the first sucked. You'd think Skyrim first person and awesome game would be #1. Moral of the story, create a better game. But blaming pirates to just test your game is cheaper I suppose.

How about a demo? No because then they would know it sucked.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
There's a strong correlation between douchebags and pirates. Also, it's funny that the excuse pirates make that there's lots of piracy on the consoles too. 800,000 vs 4 million. There's no comparison. This is why developers are flocking to the consoles. Douchebag pirates are killing the pc gaming industry.

crysex

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Well, I'm not one of them. I bought the game with full price just to appreciate their effort. You better make us a badass Crysis 3, or I won't pay your bill anymore.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]There's probably a strong positive correlation between the hardware requirements of a game and the likelihood that people will pirate it.[/citation]

Not why people don't agree with this. There's already evidence for this, as well as common sense that backs up this point of view. Just because it's wrongful to pirate a game doesn't change the fact that people probably do it on a game whose hardware requirements are either viewed as a challenge to be conquered or a potential stopper of game play for those with lesser systems.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Skyrim has only been out for a couple months, remember...

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
the pirates are the unsatisfied people. maybe about price, out of distribution, no interest (just want to try).. so it should not a loss, because they cant afford it at the first place, but they are potential to raise the sales.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]^fixed that for you. that's no different than stealing a saw from the hardware store, waiting for them to go out of buisness from theft or put it on clearance for low sales, then putting it back and buying one on clearance, so you can tell yourself you paid for it.you're a thief. at least have the balls to admit it.[/citation]
Ok then I'll just let time pass so that Deus Ex HR goes down to $5 and then MAYBE I'll buy it but without trying it out first (by pirating) there's a high chance I won't buy it at all. Square Enix have said they will not be releasing a demo of this game so don't pull the "play the demo" counter argument. For some games, pirating is the only way to try-before-you-buy. Personally I refuse to waste my money on shitty games which is why I pirate games. I pirated Fallout 3 and completed it and after I did that I went and bought the game and all the DLC, in the next installment of the series (FNV) I bought it on the first day because I knew this game was gonna be worth every penny based on my experience with FO3 so there was no second thoughts. I have all the DLC for that as well. I pirated Oblivion, I bought it when I was half way into the game and now I bought Skyrim on first day because again, I knew it was good as I had already tried the previous game. I did the same with Mass Effect and I will most likely buy Mass Effect 3 first day or some short time later.

What I'm trying to get at is that by pirating games you are able to see for yourself whether the game is worth the money or not, there's absolutely no point in paying $60 for some turd that you will either barely play or that it feels like a chore to finish just to get the most bang for your buck. In my case not only do they gain a sale for the current game but sales for any future game based on that franchise too.

If a developer creates a quality game and repeatedly continues to do so, people will not pirate their games as much and a clear of example of this are Bethesda who are currently scoring big sales records on PC with Skyrim. When Fallout 4 comes the same will happen.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Sadly i think they derserve it to screw PC gamer like that ( Crysis 2) and why would people download Battlefield 3 to play solo? loll

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I think there should always be two, or possibly three version of any game released. The first is the normal retail version. The second, the same game for free but filled with in-game billboards and paid adverts. The third, specific to fps shooters, free with ads optional, a spectator only screensaver version.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
hahahaha, wasnt Crytek said the switched to Console port for crysis 2 to avoid pirates from PCs? Look what happened now? u didnt solve the problem & u get the top spot for pirated game beating ur own crysis 1 record who is PC only, then u pissed off the legit PC users. doesnt solve the problem + pissing off PC user, how does that make u any better. lol.

flipster

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Skyrim has only been out for a couple months, remember...[/citation]

So were Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3. They came just before Skyrim, but Skyrim doesn't even make the top 5.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Ok then I'll just let time pass so that Deus Ex HR goes down to $5 and then MAYBE I'll buy it but without trying it out first (by pirating) there's a high chance I won't buy it at all. Square Enix have said they will not be releasing a demo of this game so don't pull the "play the demo" counter argument. For some games, pirating is the only way to try-before-you-buy. Personally I refuse to waste my money on shitty games which is why I pirate games. I pirated Fallout 3 and completed it and after I did that I went and bought the game and all the DLC, in the next installment of the series (FNV) I bought it on the first day because I knew this game was gonna be worth every penny based on my experience with FO3 so there was no second thoughts. I have all the DLC for that as well. I pirated Oblivion, I bought it when I was half way into the game and now I bought Skyrim on first day because again, I knew it was good as I had already tried the previous game. I did the same with Mass Effect and I will most likely buy Mass Effect 3 first day or some short time later.What I'm trying to get at is that by pirating games you are able to see for yourself whether the game is worth the money or not, there's absolutely no point in paying $60 for some turd that you will either barely play or that it feels like a chore to finish just to get the most bang for your buck. In my case not only do they gain a sale for the current game but sales for any future game based on that franchise too.If a developer creates a quality game and repeatedly continues to do so, people will not pirate their games as much and a clear of example of this are Bethesda who are currently scoring big sales records on PC with Skyrim. When Fallout 4 comes the same will happen.[/citation]

The "I am going to pirate because a have no other way know what I am buying" mentality is completely invalid. The internet is covered with reviews, playthroughs, and trailers of gameplay. All of which are legal and easier to do than actually pirating the game. If you actually cared about the industry you would use one of the many methods out there for free, but instead you steal it and pretend that it is their fault for not serving you with a free demo.

Also the notion that a pirate will only pirate from developers that have no reputation is also obviously incorrect because MW3 is the second most pirated title and it is exactly the same as every other Modern Warfare title. There is no "new" or "untested" aspect to the game, people just want it for free.

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I am a thief ? On a side note, go ahead and buy every crappy game you think is interesting and get disappointed....[/citation]

you didn't "demo" it. you said yourself you pirated it, liked it enough to play it for 6 months and just didn't want to pay for it. if you are going to play it and not pay you are stealing. if you are going to try for an hour, decide you don't like it and delete it ill let you say your "demoing" it. we both know that's not what you did.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
[citation][nom]mp562[/nom]I guess the new saying will be...but can you steal Crysis 2 on it?[/citation]
[citation][nom]crysex[/nom]Well, I'm not one of them. I bought the game with full price just to appreciate their effort. You better make us a badass Crysis 3, or I won't pay your bill anymore.[/citation]

I bought it too, and wished I hadn't. They left out the quicksave feature that made Crysis enjoyable for me, and so much fun to go back and enjoy free-form. I won't be spending any more money on Crytek games.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Pirates (I mean a$$holes) can't afford games so they trial (I mean steal) them instead.But they can afford gaming rigs to play them on.[/citation]

Why pay for shitty game if you can download and trial it to see if they deserve the money, actually me i tried the beta so i could tell it suck and never play back. Not every game have demo, beta, so

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Crysis 1 was so bad I didn't even bother pirating number 2. I immediately bought Skyrim and BF3 without even a thought of pirating because I knew they would be great games. Most games I play nowadays are cheap indie games on steam, the 5-15 spent on those are usually a much better value and a lot more fun than the 60 these devs seem to think their incomplete games are worth, just to charge us another 5, 10, 15 for more maps, guns and game modes that should have been there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.