saifraja

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
I have 3 storage units namely ,

250 GB Samsung 860 Evo Internal SSD (newly bought) <---- C Drive

1TB WD BLACK CAVIAR Internal HDD @7200 RPM (+9 yrs old) <----- E/F Dive

500 GB WD Portable Elements External HDD @5400 RPM (+9 yrs old) <---- G Drive

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the pic of my +9 old 500gb WD Portable Element external hdd What do you make of the data ?

• It always get stuck while normal formatting (quick format works fine) , any free software to fully format this ?
  • Speed hovers in the range of 1-5 MB/s while cut/copy/paste on usb 2.0
  • Drive actual capacity is 465 GB but can't move files after 315 GB leaving around 150 GB of empty space , any free cure/software for this ?

4Tr6Kn7.png

t9OF1Ad.png

This one is +9 old internal hdd , What do you make of the data ?

Gets hot while transfering data
Gets detected @ startup but sometimes disappears in between task
Speed fluctuates a lot sometimes fast as 100 MB/s while sometimes even 0 bytes/s

qQgU6GE.png

Speed test on USB 2/Sata 2 @ 3 gb/s :-

SSD to HDD - 1 MB/s
SSD to Ext HDD - 1 MB/s
HDD to SSD - 100 MB/s (how ? y ?)
HDD to Ext HDD - 1 MB/s
Ext HDD to SSD - 1 MB/s
Ext HDD to HDD - 1 MB/s

Where,

SSD is 91% full
HDD is 80% full
Ext HDD is 5% full

saifraja

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
My update using Hard Disk Sentinel Pro

i4Jsbmi.png

Disk ---> Surface Test ----> Repair Disk

TfMjA1l.png

Look at the time it will take i.e 5 days 20 hours,
if i do complete the progress will it fix my bad sectors ?
Will i be able to use the previously inaccessible 150 GB space ?

Do you have important data on this drive you do not want to loose? I have never tried to repair a failing disk myself. I do not consider a 9 year old mechanical HDD worth repairing. I would no longer trust the drive as reliable after this, even if the software said it was repaired.

saifraja

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Do you have important data on this drive you do not want to loose? I have never tried to repair a failing disk myself. I do not consider a 9 year old mechanical HDD worth repairing. I would no longer trust the drive as reliable after this, even if the software said it was repaired.
No the data is of no importance just some movies n web series on it.

saifraja

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Newer spinning drives of 1 TB are all of about $25-30 these days?

With 100+ sector reallocations, I'd relegate it to the destruction pile..(after a DBAN or Erase regimen , w/ a single pass of 0's or random overwrites is all that is needed...
Should i continue the scan , it has already been 3 days and the read/write speed has reached to a low of 0.02 MB/s

rOM7I3H.jpg