Question CrystalDiskinfo Current Pending Sector Caution

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
Hey there ,

I heard a clicking noise on my HDD 2 days ago and my screen kept freezing. I downloaded CrystalDiskinfo and HD Sentinel and I found that there were the following errors on my C: D: E: (my BOOT drive)

C5 Current Pending Error 170
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 170

CrystalDisk Info - My screenshot of my CrystalDisk Info
HD Sentinael Info - My screenshot of my HD Sentinel Info

From what I have read this issue is critical and needs attention immediately

I have bought an SSD online which should arrive tomorrow.

1. Can I clone my C: D: E: drives on to the SSD or do I have to install a fresh version of windows on my SSD ?
  2. How much time do I have before this becomes unrepairable ?
  3. Can this drive be used in the future ?
  4. If I install a fresh version of windows does my extra drive get affected ?

This is my main boot drive and I am a little worried. I have already backed up all my important data online to G Drive and an External Hard Disk

Any info will be greatly appreciated

USAFRet

Titan
New noises are never good.

The question is...what will you do based on what we out here say?

A1. The drive is fine, HDD's make noises
A2. It is going to die in the next 5 minutes
A3. It will probably be fine for a little while

What will you do in the next hour?

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
New noises are never good.

The question is...what will you do based on what we out here say?

A1. The drive is fine, HDD's make noises
A2. It is going to die in the next 5 minutes
A3. It will probably be fine for a little while

What will you do in the next hour?

I mean I am going to try and take all the advice here to try whatever options are presented

USAFRet

Titan
I mean I am going to try and take all the advice here to try whatever options are presented
My comment basically boiled down to 'You need a backup routine, starting now.'

Not fix it, not chkdsk....safeguard the data.
The drive may already be too far gone.

If that Image operation fails, then see if you can simply Copy your personal data off that drive, to some other physical device.

Reactions: MFDOOM123

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Answers to your questions:
  1. Don't waste time cloning. As USAFRet said, you should install Macrium (free version) and make a SYSTEM IMAGE. When you have the SSD in hand you just need to RESTORE this image (with all programs installed) Preferably keep the SSD only for the operating system, programs and updates. Other files would be ideal to keep on a HDD.
  2. There is no answer to this question. Also no application can predict. Luck and Magic. It can last for minutes or even months.
  3. It depends. I have 2 "zombie" drives (seagate of course) that I formatted, and went through the HDD Regenerator. Do they work? Yes, but I don't use it to store ANYTHING of value. Use for temporary stuff like movies, music, etc. One of them, despite having several sectors with problems, has been operating for over a year. It's a bit slow, that's why it was nicknamed "Logan" after that family in the movie ;)
  4. Even if it goes through the HDD Regenerator or you do some operation like the old Deep Format, I would use this unit to, for example, install a Windows 11 test, a Linux with Dual Boot, temporary backups or things like that. It will always be a parachute that has been fixed.

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
My comment basically boiled down to 'You need a backup routine, starting now.'

Not fix it, not chkdsk....safeguard the data.
The drive may already be too far gone.

If that Image operation fails, then see if you can simply Copy your personal data off that drive, to some other physical device.

Thanks for the advice USAFret . Its been a long ride with this drive. Nearly 55000 hrs 😢.

I am assuming that I will have to back up all my data and install a new version of windows on my SSD which is arriving tomorrow ?

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
Answers to your questions:
  1. Don't waste time cloning. As USAFRet said, you should install Macrium (free version) and make a SYSTEM IMAGE. When you have the SSD in hand you just need to RESTORE this image (with all programs installed) Preferably keep the SSD only for the operating system, programs and updates. Other files would be ideal to keep on a HDD.
  2. There is no answer to this question. Also no application can predict. Luck and Magic. It can last for minutes or even months.
  3. It depends. I have 2 "zombie" drives (seagate of course) that I formatted, and went through the HDD Regenerator. Do they work? Yes, but I don't use it to store ANYTHING of value. Use for temporary stuff like movies, music, etc. One of them, despite having several sectors with problems, has been operating for over a year. It's a bit slow, that's why it was nicknamed "Logan" after that family in the movie ;)
  4. Even if it goes through the HDD Regenerator or you do some operation like the old Deep Format, I would use this unit to, for example, install a Windows 11 test, a Linux with Dual Boot, temporary backups or things like that. It will always be a parachute that has been fixed.

Thanks for the detailed answers ErickParker. Seems like this is the end for this drive because my attempt at making an Image through MAcrium has failed :(

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the advice USAFret . Its been a long ride with this drive. Nearly 55000 hrs 😢.

I am assuming that I will have to back up all my data and install a new version of windows on my SSD which is arriving tomorrow ?
If the Imaging function fails, yes.

Data should be backed up from literally Day 1.
I've had HDDs die at 5 weeks off the store shelf.
Currently, I have a 7 month old Toshiba Enterprise awaiting replacement.
I have other HDDs that are 20 years old and still working.

55000 hours is near 7 years. Its had a good run.

Your main thing now is to try to retrieve whatever is on it that you might need.

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022

Your main thing now is to try to retrieve whatever is on it that you might need.

Thanks again USAFRet

Yeah I have backed this up inspite of the fact its 4 a.m. here. Just deleting all the junk movies and music which is very easily replaceable. Most Docs , Pics backed up and on email and Google Drive.

I bought my computer 8 years ago and I feel it fading away slowly. Unfortunate but that's life I guess :(. 55000 hours is indeed a good run.

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022

All done

Installed Windows on a new SSD. My computer is now lighting speed (I don't know why I didn't do this before)
Backed up critical data and photos on Google Drive, External HDD and and Internal working HDD

Formatted my old hard disk and now storing non critical stuff which can be replaced anytime. Will be slowly riding into the sunset I guess. Lets see how many hours it has with :

C5 Current Pending Error 170
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 170

Will report back when the disk dies which could be in a week or a year :)

Thanks for the replies USAFRet and ErickParker