Question Curious about underclocking for crypto mining

Sgtjacques

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Hello, im a bit curious as to why you underclock a card for crypto mining and what may happen if you dont underclock it while mining. Im also curious as to what could happen if you were playing a game while crypto mining.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You underclock to use less power and to generate less heat. Gaming while mining will place a heavy processing load on your system, likely maxing out both your GPU and CPU and will limit gaming performance.

Sgtjacques

Honorable
May 11, 2014
You underclock to use less power and to generate less heat. Gaming while mining will place a heavy processing load on your system, likely maxing out both your GPU and CPU and will limit gaming performance.
Im also curious, is it possible to accidently burn up your vram in doing so? I heard somewhere that the vram isn't connected to the temperature readout of the card.

Apr 30, 2021
The ins and outs of bitcoin mining can be difficult to understand as is. Consider this illustrative example of how the hash problem works: I tell three friends that I'm thinking of a number between one and 100, and I write that number on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope. My friends don't have to guess the exact number; they just have to be the first person to guess any number that is less than or equal to the number I am thinking of. And there is no limit to how many guesses they get.

Reactions: Bassman999