[SOLVED] Current quest: A pseudo gaming rig for under 300 USD? (e.g. able to run Geforce Now)

notsomebodyyouknow

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
Hi people,

Ok, my son's gaming rig (my old i5 + 970) died and I decided to hand down my own rig and use the salvageable parts for other machines around the house. I don't have the money to buy a new rig altogether, but while I save up for that dreadful expense - I want to create a temp gaming rig for under 300 USD. I've got a SSD, a monitor, mouse, keyboard and Windows as well.

In other words: The only thing I need is the machine itself and since the amount is so ridiculously low, I want a machine able to run Gforce Now if not perfectly, then at least sufficiently for high quality game streaming. Anyone with experience in that department? If I’ve got 300 USD and want something which works properly with GN, what should I do? And yes, I know it’s not a viable solution in the long run :p

Cheers and thanks.

PS: And truth be told, just for the fun of it: If you can do this properly for 100 USD, I'm down as well.

Solution
For geforce now, any pc that works would work.
Get a dell optiplex with a 3rd or 4th gen i5 or i7
and use that to run geforce now. should only be around 100$.

You can actually slap a 1660 super/1650 super (depending on what exact cpu is in there) in there and have a competent gaming machine for around 300$, with another stick of ram. especially if you already have an ssd and peripherals.
For geforce now, any pc that works would work.
Get a dell optiplex with a 3rd or 4th gen i5 or i7
and use that to run geforce now. should only be around 100$.

You can actually slap a 1660 super/1650 super (depending on what exact cpu is in there) in there and have a competent gaming machine for around 300$, with another stick of ram. especially if you already have an ssd and peripherals.

Solution
Hi people,

Ok, my son's gaming rig (my old i5 + 970) died and I decided to hand down my own rig and use the salvageable parts for other machines around the house. I don't have the money to buy a new rig altogether, but while I save up for that dreadful expense - I want to create a temp gaming rig for under 300 USD. I've got a SSD, a monitor, mouse, keyboard and Windows as well.

In other words: The only thing I need is the machine itself and since the amount is so ridiculously low, I want a machine able to run Gforce Now if not perfectly, then at least sufficiently for high quality game streaming. Anyone with experience in that department? If I’ve got 300 USD and want something which works properly with GN, what should I do? And yes, I know it’s not a viable solution in the long run :p

Cheers and thanks.

PS: And truth be told, just for the fun of it: If you can do this properly for 100 USD, I'm down as well.

What exactly died in the computer? A 970 card is still fast enough for modern games.