CUSL2 less problematic than A7V?

G

It seems all I read are problems with VIA and therefore A7V boards. That combo seems to be a real pain to get stable and then you musn't touch it.

Is the CUSL2 solution better?

I really need a system I can assemble and add or subtract components from without loads of driver and BIOS updates (and associated fear). It seems to me if you don't enjoy or can't spare the time to fool with these things you should just pay the little more and go Intel. The price premium seems to be dimisishing lately.

Thanks in advance

Gumby7

(I have been around hardware and built a few boxes but really don't enjoy frustration anymore)

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I suppose that motherboards for Intel processors are easier to deal with. With the CUSL2, setup is fast and easy, while most A7V users have a few problems (that can be solved too). However, keep in mind that the price of Intel processors are much higher than for a Thunderbird of the same performance.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, i dint have any problems with A7V, but I do fear about VIA chipsets. They are problematic, especially their southbridges (running into compatibility probs with some IDE devs)
815e based CUSL2 seems too good a board, maybe the best one among the lot. I guess it might be better thena the Intel DE815EEA too.

815 is sure a good chipset to put money in, but then AMD and its lone chipset KT133 is not too bad. With some possible problems it currently has, its sure a steal over P-III/815E, since my observation is that Duron600/A7V in my office easily outperforms P-III600/810E at my home. 815E is not too much a difference except the external AGP connector.
???

Girish

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I've had both motherboards, and I can tell you that if you want a computer that just starts up and doesn't need any tweaking, definitely go with a CUSL2. You could probably get the AMD to work with a little time and effort, but if you change parts in it enough, I could imagine it would start to become a nightmare. I really enjoy fooling with the settings on my computers, but when you have to fool with the settings just to get it to work at all, it begins to become annoying.
If you are going to get an Intel, definitely go with the 815E chipset. It is much better than the 810, which has onboard video and audio and pretty much slows the Pentium III down.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with rbertino. I recently built two systems, one A7V and one CUSL2. The A7V system has a 900MHz Tbird and the CUSL2 has a 733MHz. I spent almost the same amount of money on each. The A7V system blows the other away in terms of performance--not surprisingly. The CUSL2, though, was incredibly easy to setup. I used WinMe as the OS and did not have to update a single driver. I also installed WinMe on the A7V and had to update every driver but I got it almost 6 months ago.

All the drivers for the A7V that are out now are very good and stable. So if you buy one now, yes, you have to update the drivers but only once and it takes less than 5 min. including re-boot time. If I am going to build another system right now, I would go with the A7V for the price/performance. Stability is no longer a major issue as long as you update the drivers when you first set it up.

<i>Its not fun AFTER you have fragged everyone.</i> :cool: James

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I bought mine a few months ago just for that reason. PIII 700 on it runs flawlessly at 933/133 overclocked, and no more driver problems/instability issues. And back teh the price difference between a PIII 700 and a T-bird was around $100 I believe!

Suicide is painless...........