[SOLVED] Custom fan curve for Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700 XT?

Dec 5, 2019
Hey, y'all! I hope you are doing good!

I would love to hear your opinions on AMD's automatic fan curve as I believe it prioritizes noise levels over thermals. The max fan speed is set to 42% by default and I think that this is a bit low for this rather heavy gaming card. The problem is when I run heavy games like AC Oddysey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider for more than 30 minutes - the GPU gets toasty and it either shuts down the game or the PC entirely and closes and reopens the Radeon Software. The problem happens when all the settings are set to default. I am certain it is due to the GPU because I tried overclocking and lowering the voltages by a minimal amount earlier and I was getting the same crashes with the software restart. (This card does not like to be tampered with at all).

These are the default Radeon Software fan curve levels that cause the shutdowns:

P1 - 30 C @ 33%

P2 - 50 C @ 34%
P3 - 65 C @ 35%
P4 - 81 C @ 36%
P5 - 90 C @ 42%

Do you have any suggestions for a custom fan curve? I would appreciate it if you point the temperature and the respective fan speed I should set for each of the 5 fan curve levels. (P1 - P5).

This is the ring that I have going:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700 XT 8 GB
MBD: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 650W Gold (SSR-650FX)
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 512GB PCIe

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200rpm Case: MAKKI ATX 8872 RGB

Thank you for spending a moment to read this!

- sphyNx

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

So it's actually pretty easy. Download, and run MSI afterburner and follow this simple guide:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eIITS_H0oA

You can use wattman too, but I've never used it, and can only testify that MSI Afterburner is easy to use.

Edit: Ideally you want your fans at 90% load when the GPU hits 80c. YOur crashing is prob because at 90c with 42% load on the fans, the heat isn't being cleared quickly enough, and there is some throttling going on.
Hey there,

So it's actually pretty easy. Download, and run MSI afterburner and follow this simple guide:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eIITS_H0oA

You can use wattman too, but I've never used it, and can only testify that MSI Afterburner is easy to use.

Edit: Ideally you want your fans at 90% load when the GPU hits 80c. YOur crashing is prob because at 90c with 42% load on the fans, the heat isn't being cleared quickly enough, and there is some throttling going on.

Solution