Question Custom PC from 7 years ago needs upgrades

Apr 24, 2022
I want windows 11 but my custom PC from 7 years ago is falling short. I have wanted to upgrade it for a while but I am not knowledgeable in this. I had somehow managed to put it together after a lot of research and help from awesome folks here 7 years ago!
I ran a diagnostic for windows 11 and this is what it showed:
  1. This PC must support Secure Boot
  2. TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC
  3. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11
These are my specs if any hardware gurus can suggest some upgrades that would help, I'd be ever so grateful! <3
1.MSI MSI Gaming X99S Gaming 7 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
2.MotherboardG.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15Q-16GRB
3.Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell E Processor 3.3GHz 0GT/s 15MB LGA 2011-v3 CPU w/o Fan, I7-5820KBX
4.NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 280mm All-In-One Liquid Cooling SystemFAN-X61
5.MSI AMD Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/Displayport PCI-Express Video CardMSI-390GM8
6.Asus Xonar DSX PCI Express 7.1 Channel Audio CardSC-NARDSX
7.NZXT PHANTOM 820 No Power Supply ATX Full Tower (Matte Black)CA-PH820M1
8.Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive
(ST3000DM001)
9.Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive (CT256MX100SSD1)
10.TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz
450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket - my wifi isn't great.
I would love your suggestions! Thank you so much!

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
Yep. I agree with the others. Stay with Win 10 for now.

Your motherboard doesn't support TPM 2.0 according to MSI's own list - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/pdf/2021/msi-tpm-2-0-motherboard-list.pdf

And your processor is 3 generations too old.

Since that's the base on which everything else is built, you would basically need to upgrade everything... but, you could probably keep the same sound card and tower case.

Even the hard drives are probably MBR partitioned while Win 11 will require them to be GPT. You can check this using Disk Management applet in the Windows Computer Management console. Although it's possible that they can be converted without messing with the data already stored on the drive, it's not guaranteed. You would definatley need to backup your data.

Reactions: AditiM
Apr 24, 2022

Your motherboard doesn't support TPM 2.0 according to MSI's own list - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/pdf/2021/msi-tpm-2-0-motherboard-list.pdf

Since that's the base on which everything else is built, you would basically need to upgrade everything... but, you could probably keep the same sound card and tower case.

Even the hard drives are probably MBR partitioned while Win 11 will require them to be GPT. You can check this using Disk Management applet in the Windows Computer Management console. Although it's possible that they can be converted without messing with the data already stored on the drive, it's not guaranteed. You would definatley need to backup your data.
Thank you so much for a thoughtful and thorough response. This makes the decision easy. <3

Apr 24, 2022
I think this one prove to be a hard problem to solve, so I point out the obvious - why not just settle with W10 until it's no longer supported or some major part of the computer cease to be in working state ?
Looks like that's the only option. I was hoping it could be solved by replacing just the processor, but that's not the case. Thank you.

Apr 24, 2022

Hi Joel,

I need a bluetooth add-in for my desktop. Could you please suggest something that would work with my desktop and would be easy to install. I thought I had a bluetooth feature but looks like that's not the case. Thank you for helping me!

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
I don't have much experience with bluetooth on a PC since I don't have a use for it. My current build has it because it's part of the built-in wi-fi on the motherboard. It's there, but I don't enable it.