Baraa_Al Turk

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm planning on doing a custom pc switch that is similar to a racing car Ignition Switch Panel. it requires a little help from an electrician, so I thought why not ask those who are familiar with electricity.
To my Electrical engineers or those who are aware of electrical systems I seek your help, also please don't eat my face of me being ignorant in electricity.

To start with things off, I want to run a 12v panel using a 5v pc power button cable, now when I checked on google about how many Volts a pc power button requires this is what I got:
"The push button sends a 5-volt signal to the power supply to tell it when to turn on. The power supply also has a circuit that supplies 5 volts, called VSB for "standby voltage" even when it is officially "off", so that the button will work. "
Source

This is the panel I'm trying to power my pc with:
Universal 12V Ignition Switch Panel (Amazon)

Is it possible to start my pc using this panel? or I will end up smoking my pc?
I've heard that maybe I can get some sort of a converter like this?
DC/DC 12V to 5V (Amazon)

And one more thing regarding the panel, if you've seen it you would notice that it has 3 switches and 1 ignition button, now I don't care about the 2 switches on the right that are labeled as "ACC 1,2" I only care about the red switch and the ignition button that are on the left.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Solution
Think of a single long wire connecting Power On+ and Power On-. Cut that wire in half and put the Start button in between the 2 wires. Now you are identical to a standard pc button. Take the wire coming from + to Start and cut that in half put 1 end on the top of the toggle, the other end on the bottom of the toggle.

+ ———T———S——— -

That's what you'll have. The toggle On completes the possible Standby circuit like it didn't exist, the Start button is identical to pc button.

The toggle Off breaks the connection of + to Start, so the Start is now disabled, useless, doesn't work.

Power On LED can be rewired to the toggle switch if you can seperate the led light from the actual switching mechanism.

You don't jumper the 15/16, you...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Overthinking it. That auto switch will handle 5v just fine, it doesn't require 12v to work, 12v is just the rating of the switch, so you'd not use it with 120v/240v circuits.

Simply remove the original momentary switch and wire that in its place. The Red toggle needs to be wired in series with the Start button, not parallel. When you toggle up it completes the potential circuit the momentary Start switch will complete the actual circuit to the psu. Toggle down will break the circuit, disabling the Start button.

Word of warning, toggle down while windows is active will do nothing since the Start button is a momentary switch. The only thing that will accomplish is prevent 5second hold switch psu shutdown.

With toggle down, the Start switch is disabled, preventing the Start from completing the momentary connection necessary to start the pc.

If the toggle has a light, the light won't work as the turn on for the psu is a ground circuit, not powered. You'll need to supply the light circuit from somewhere else, not connected to the psu ground circuit to the Start switch.

Last edited:

Baraa_Al Turk

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
I understand the switch will be momentary, but what about the button? will it work just like a pc switch? 1 press to turn on, 1 press to turn off, or hold to force shutdown (considering the momentary switch is in the right toggle).
I've seen this guy on YouTube and he's using the same panel that I listed above:
View: https://youtu.be/vHjQ4qVOus4

And what about wiring? in the motherboard panel header, where should I connect the "Power LED" and "Power Switch"

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Think of a single long wire connecting Power On+ and Power On-. Cut that wire in half and put the Start button in between the 2 wires. Now you are identical to a standard pc button. Take the wire coming from + to Start and cut that in half put 1 end on the top of the toggle, the other end on the bottom of the toggle.

+ ———T———S——— -

That's what you'll have. The toggle On completes the possible Standby circuit like it didn't exist, the Start button is identical to pc button.

The toggle Off breaks the connection of + to Start, so the Start is now disabled, useless, doesn't work.

Power On LED can be rewired to the toggle switch if you can seperate the led light from the actual switching mechanism.

You don't jumper the 15/16, you use the power on switch through the motherboard.

Solution

Baraa_Al Turk

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
I'm hella confused right now, when reading all this without having the pieces on me.
I think the best way is to do it in real time when I have the panel, wires and everything in front of me, that would make a lot more sense to me.

I'll keep in touch, if that's fine with you.
thank you.