Question DAC (SMSL M6) stops computer from booting.

Aug 11, 2019
Hi, I've been having an issue with my USB DAC (SMSL M6) for a while now. When I start up my computer, if the DAC is plugged in and powered on, the computer will not start. I don't even see my motherboard logo, the screen turns on but stays black until I unplug/unpower the DAC. As soon as the DAC is unplugged, the motherboard logo appears and the computer starts up as it should. My motherboard is a MSI Z170A SLI PLUS.

That wouldn't be an issue if the DAC worked once the computer is up, but it doesn't. The DAC screen keep changing up between "24bit/LOCKED", "16bit/LOCKED" and "16bit/48khz", but it isn't recognized in Windows.

Weird thing is, if I let it plugged in long enough, it will eventually be detected by Windows and start working as it should until my next reboot. First two times this happened this took about 24h, lately it's been working after a few hours. I had to reboot 2 days ago, and unfortunately it still did not turn on yet, and I'm getting pretty tired with the lower quality audio.

Did anyone ever have this issue, or have any clue as to how to fix that? I don't have the money to buy another DAC, and waiting for days/hours for mine to work is not fun.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019
I bought a new cable when I first noticed the issue, but it didn't fix it.
I'm using back USB ports, but tried switching it around to front and rebooting a few times when I had the issue, nothing worked. Same with 3.0 and 2.0, tried both several time, no results yet. Even tried plugging it in 2 different USB hubs, one externally powered and one USB powered, still nothing.

I just tried disabling fast boot and fast startup after lurking a few more forum posts, still nothing.

I really don't know what to try anymore, and I can't find anyone with my exact issue on the internet, it's a bit discouraging!

Aug 11, 2019
That could be it, I should try to order another power supply online if I find the right model, I know mine gets a bit warm when plugged in, I don't know if that's normal behavior. I tried changing the power cable from the power supply but it still doesn't work.

I never tried it on another computer because I don't have another one, I'll try to ask my roommate if I can test on his machine, but I won't be able to for a few days

Thanks for trying at least!

Aug 11, 2019
I think it's an AC power supply though, not DC, here's the unit if that helps

hWFzCb9.jpg