Darik's Boot and Nuke Taking Too Long To Finish

TeamBills

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I had a windows vista computer. Had windows in the computer. Download "wubi" ubuntu. Downloaded it inside windows. Computer won't start. Retrieved data saved it on an external hard drive.

Downloaded windows vista again and tried to clear the hard drive. Vista took 105 hours to download. Getting error. Now, I have to wipe out my hard drive. Windows Vista CD's that gave me an option to wipe hard drive. Took 80 hours still hasn't gotten to 1 percent.

Download Darik's Boot and Nuke iso on CD. Started autonuke on computer.

After 47 hours this is my information.

Run Time 46:08:00
Remaining: 10555:31:43
Load Averages: 1.00 1.00 0.94
Throughput: 41943 B/s

[00.41%., round 1 of 1, pass 1 of 3] [writing] [27962 B/s]

I have a few questions

Why is this taking so long? Is there something wrong with my computer?

Why is the remaining time so long? Is this really going to take 10,555 hours?!

Is it 41% done or is it .41% done. I thought than meant .41% done, but than how would it show 100%. There only two zeros on the right side on the decimal point?

TeamBills

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Really? That's awful! It does make sense though. So I have to buy a whole new hard drive! I just bought the hard drive about 7 months ago! I bought it from a local place. I hope they give me my money back.

(HDD is a hard drive right?)

Yup. I've had a few Seagate hard drives die on me. One flat out bit the dust after about 6 months while two others suffered severe performance degradation until they died completely as well. All my Western Digital ones, including ones that are much older, are still kicking though