Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2020
I want to backup my 2TB external HDD, 1TB laptop HDD and 64GB Android Phone ROM to an external 5TB HDD.

I want to set the backup in a way that whatever files are created/added, deleted or edited, including moving files/folders to different locations are reflected on the 5TB backup drive. It should also be compatible with Windows and Linux and Open Source or free.

The backup software I use is EaseUS Todo but i found out that it won't delete from the backup the deleted files from source. Example, I first create a full backup. Next if I delete a file from the source, that file is not deleted from the backup image. This means eventually my 5TB will be full of unwanted files which I would not want to restore.

I think synchronization software is what I'm looking for but backup and synchronization has been interchangeability used which is why there is a confusion here.

Please let me know any software which would fulfill my requirements.

Feb 26, 2020
That's not a true backup then. A true backup would allow for corrupt or accidentally deleted files. If you accidentally delete a file today, and run your "backup" tonight, then is that file lost?

I understand what you mean but as mentioned in my question, such a backup would eventually take up the whole 5TB and even if there is an option to delete older backups (which I have not come across in EaseUS Todo), the full backup will still have files which would not be required and as such the only solution would be to create a full backup periodically which is quite time consuming.

In the case of Synchronization, the issue of accidently deleting a file can be overcome by disabling auto-sync. I mean even if auto-sync is on, accidently deleting a file would go to recycle bin unless it is a large file in which case it would be directly deleted but then again there are recovery software which are good at recovering files and I have a couple installed on my system and if a file is deleted accidently, I'd try to recover them.

I feel synchronization software is what I need and after some reasearch I have come to find FreeFileSync to be a good one.

Unless anyone can come up with a backup software which addresses the issue of getting rid of unwanted files from the backup so as to prevent consumption of unnecessary space on the backup drive, I'm sticking with FreeFileSync.

I want to backup my 2TB external HDD, 1TB laptop HDD and 64GB Android Phone ROM to an external 5TB HDD.

I want to set the backup in a way that whatever files are created/added, deleted or edited, including moving files/folders to different locations are reflected on the 5TB backup drive. It should also be compatible with Windows and Linux and Open Source or free.

The backup software I use is EaseUS Todo but i found out that it won't delete from the backup the deleted files from source. Example, I first create a full backup. Next if I delete a file from the source, that file is not deleted from the backup image. This means eventually my 5TB will be full of unwanted files which I would not want to restore.

I think synchronization software is what I'm looking for but backup and synchronization has been interchangeability used which is why there is a confusion here.

Please let me know any software which would fulfill my requirements.
Then you're not really looking for a backup solution, you're looking for syncronization. With your desired set up, if you delete a file, that file is also deleted from the (so called) "backup". If you should realize seconds later that you deleted the wrong file then it hurts to be you as there is nothing to fall back on.

.......OP added a response while I was replying.......

ALL backup software has the ability to remove old backup sets based on size, number of backup sets, or dates. You simply have to consult the documentation.

Feb 26, 2020
Then you're not really looking for a backup solution, you're looking for syncronization. With your desired set up, if you delete a file, that file is also deleted from the (so called) "backup". If you should realize seconds later that you deleted the wrong file then it hurts to be you as there is nothing to fall back on.

I've address the accidental deletion issue in my previous reply to another person. Let me know your thoughts.

I've address the accidental deletion issue in my previous reply to another person. Let me know your thoughts.

And every single one of your alternatives can and will fail at the most inopportune moment. That's what real backups are there for.

ALL backup software has the ability to remove old backup sets based on size, number of backup sets, or dates. You simply have to consult the documentation.

USAFRet

Titan
My tool for this is Macrium Reflect.
A full image, then a series of Incremental or Differential.
Keep X number of iterations, delete the eldest. Or delete the eldest when there is X% free space on the target drive. You can specifically tell it..."Don't let this backup routine fill up past 60% of the drive." (or whatever number you choose)

That is does NOT autodelete a file is one of the key factors of an actual backup. You can reach into a previous backup and retrieve a file that was accidentally deleted. I've had to do this.

"I need the version of my resume from last Friday." Even if I deleted it yesterday, it still exists in the backup.

I've used FreeFileSync in the past. It pales in comparison to a real backup imaging tool.

USAFRet

Titan
Specifically, in Macrium:
QWRxPoe.png

The default is 5GB, but you can change that number to whatever you wish.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Feb 26, 2020
My tool for this is Macrium Reflect.
A full image, then a series of Incremental or Differential.
Keep X number of iterations, delete the eldest. Or delete the eldest when there is X% free space on the target drive. You can specifically tell it..."Don't let this backup routine fill up past 60% of the drive." (or whatever number you choose)

That is does NOT autodelete a file is one of the key factors of an actual backup. You can reach into a previous backup and retrieve a file that was accidentally deleted. I've had to do this.

"I need the version of my resume from last Friday." Even if I deleted it yesterday, it still exists in the backup.

I've used FreeFileSync in the past. It pales in comparison to a real backup imaging tool.
Macrium only works on Windows, no linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.