Question DDR4 RAM not compatible with a DDR4 motherboard?

Trainspotter837

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
Decided to upgrade to a 13600k with the MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk wifi DDR4 one of the reasons being I thought I would get the board as I have 32GB of DDR4 already (CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 x 2) but after days of trying and failing to get it to post I finally checked the compatibility on MSI's website for the RAM and to my shock it isnt listed.

This isn't a major problem and I have new RAM coming tomorrow that is compatible but I feel a little uneasy as to why it didn't work because I don't understand why it doesn't work.

So yeah just wondering why basically because I dont want to learn from my mistakes, I didnt think to check and PC Part Picker didnt pick up on the issue either

kanewolf

Titan
Decided to upgrade to a 13600k with the MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk wifi DDR4 one of the reasons being I thought I would get the board as I have 32GB of DDR4 already (CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 x 2) but after days of trying and failing to get it to post I finally checked the compatibility on MSI's website for the RAM and to my shock it isnt listed.

This isn't a major problem and I have new RAM coming tomorrow that is compatible but I feel a little uneasy as to why it didn't work because I don't understand why it doesn't work.

So yeah just wondering why basically because I dont want to learn from my mistakes, I didnt think to check and PC Part Picker didnt pick up on the issue either
The list of RAM on a motherboard website is not a list of "compatible" part numbers, it is a list of tested part numbers. RAM not listed is not incompatible, it is just untested. It is quite possible, that swapping RAM will not change anything.

Trainspotter837

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
Sorry I should of said Ive tried everything to update it but with not getting it to post or have a 12th gen CPU there isnt much else I can do, Im fairly sure it is updated using the flash method, seems to go through it all perfectly.

Yeah Im really worried obviously that the RAM isnt the issue but the list on MSI's website seems to be very comprehensive so after days of problem solving its the only lead I have left.

This is my 3rd build (from scratch) over the last 15 years of DIY PC'ing so Im not a total noob and Ive followed so many troubleshooting guides that I feel like I have hit a brick wall.

I just wondered if the DDR4 RAM not working on a DDR4 board was a thing

Fingers crossed it is the RAM, MSI's website says over 1700 different types of RAM work with my model of MB so yeah fingers crossed, thanks for the reply's

ps I will update this post tomorrow once Ive checked the RAM

Last edited:

Trainspotter837

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
Yeah Im an idiot

Seems it was working from the very beginning but the signal wasnt being picked up on my LCD TV

The whole RAM thing just happened to be a unlucky and 'obvious' coincidence :rolleyes:

Once I pulled everything out the back of my LG TV apart from the power cord and the PC's HDMI lead the signal was picked up

Quite common actually, ah well working now, thanks to the people who helped