Dead card, any help appiciated

marrio2701

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
My laptop delicated graphics card has appeared to have died, when i turn on the laptop is takes around 15 mins to post/load windows, and once it has neither the laptop keyboad or trackpad works (external do) the issue occoured before but as the laptop was under warrenty i sent it back, and the vga was replaced, however it is no longer under warrenty and this is not an option, and as i am short on cash don't want to get it replaced as i will buy a new laptop shortly anyway. If there is a way to completely disable the gpu it may not have these issues? idk?
Any help aprricated
Specs:
Lenovo z51/70
i7 5500u
8gb ddr3 ram
r7 m360 (2gb) graphics
windows 7 X64 bit
ssd/hdd for storage

Solution
Lenovo BIOSes are usually rather complete, especially on Thinkpads, so you could try completely disabling the discrete card in the BIOS. You may want to check that you have the latest BIOS revision installed on your machine, reset it to default values, then disable the adapter to run on IGP only.

Next, I'll go with the assertion that the secondary adapter is set on a MXM module. If you're not afraid to take your laptop apart then you could simply remove the vga card, re-seat the cooling pipes on the CPU and chipset with new thermal paste and/or pads and see if things go back to working: the GPU should suffice for any non-gaming task you throw at it.
Replacing the graphics card may be a bit more tricky; if you're lucky you could find a...
Lenovo BIOSes are usually rather complete, especially on Thinkpads, so you could try completely disabling the discrete card in the BIOS. You may want to check that you have the latest BIOS revision installed on your machine, reset it to default values, then disable the adapter to run on IGP only.

Next, I'll go with the assertion that the secondary adapter is set on a MXM module. If you're not afraid to take your laptop apart then you could simply remove the vga card, re-seat the cooling pipes on the CPU and chipset with new thermal paste and/or pads and see if things go back to working: the GPU should suffice for any non-gaming task you throw at it.
Replacing the graphics card may be a bit more tricky; if you're lucky you could find a MXM VGA module with a similar chip layout and power specifications (so that you can use your existing solution on it), or a working card from a similar laptop that died (with some luck you could find a spare on eBay for a few dozen bucks).

Solution