Default user permissions

Hello

My question pertains to Windows XP Home SP2.

Using the Security tab in Safe mode, I've fiddled
around with various user permissions settings just
to see how they work (I'm the only user). Now
I would like to set everything back to the out-of-the
box settings, and I don't remember what they were.

How can I get back to where I started?

Also, in XP Home is there a preloaded definition
for "Power User"?

Thanks.

MW

"Michael West" <mbwest@removebigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> My question pertains to Windows XP Home SP2.
>
> Using the Security tab in Safe mode, I've fiddled
> around with various user permissions settings just
> to see how they work (I'm the only user). Now
> I would like to set everything back to the out-of-the
> box settings, and I don't remember what they were.
>
> How can I get back to where I started?
>
> Also, in XP Home is there a preloaded definition
> for "Power User"?
>
> Thanks.
>
> MW

The Power User group doesn't exist in XP Home.

To reset all security settings, you can look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222

The command secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db
secsetup.sdb /areas FILESTORE /verbose should do it... but I'm not sure if
this will work on XP Home (it may be available on XP Pro only.)

Hope this helps...

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

Colin Nash [MVP] wrote:

> The Power User group doesn't exist in XP Home.
>
> To reset all security settings, you can look here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222
>
> The command secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db
> secsetup.sdb /areas FILESTORE /verbose should do it... but I'm not sure if
> this will work on XP Home (it may be available on XP Pro only.)

Nope, XP Home tells me it doesn't know that
command from a hole in the ground.

Thanks anyway.

--
MW

Malke

Michael West wrote:

> Colin Nash [MVP] wrote:
>
>> The Power User group doesn't exist in XP Home.
>>
>> To reset all security settings, you can look here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222
>>
>> The command secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db
>> secsetup.sdb /areas FILESTORE /verbose should do it... but I'm not
>> sure if this will work on XP Home (it may be available on XP Pro
>> only.)
>

> Nope, XP Home tells me it doesn't know that
> command from a hole in the ground.

Although XP Home doesn't give you many options for fine-tuning
permissions, MVP Doug Knox has written a Security Console which can
help. Get his application at http://www.dougknox.com.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Secedit.exe (Windows Security Configuration Editor Command Tool) doesn't
come with XP Home. Secedit.exe is used with security templates and Group
Policy. Group Policy doesn't come with XP Home either.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:uuw7IYj9EHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Michael West <mbwest@removebigpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:
> Colin Nash [MVP] wrote:
>
>> The Power User group doesn't exist in XP Home.
>>
>> To reset all security settings, you can look here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222
>>
>> The command secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db
>> secsetup.sdb /areas FILESTORE /verbose should do it... but I'm not
>> sure if this will work on XP Home (it may be available on XP Pro
>> only.)
>

> Nope, XP Home tells me it doesn't know that
> command from a hole in the ground.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> --
> MW

I too have a permissions problem with XP Home SP2. One of my computers
is not letting my admin users run Quickbooks Pro 2005. I've installed
it under an Admin and try running it under an Admin. It tells me:

\"USER ACCESS RIGHTS PROBLEM: Must have power user or Administrator
group rights...\"

I've tried everything I can think of, and have even reinstalled in
place XP Home SP2. I can install and run it on other computers.

Someone pointed me to this forum/thread. I was excited when I heard
about SECEDIT, until I realized it was only in XP Pro.

I looked at Doug Knox's site, specifically at the Security Console. I
wasn't sure that the Security Console would fix whatever my problem is.
Do you think it will? I really need to just reset the whole permissions
system back to where it is supposed to be, not just fix it user-by-user,
as each new admin user I create has the same problem.

I'm going nuts, having spent the entire weekend on this. Any help is
really appreciated!!!!

--
slobizman
slobizman's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=9447

Malke

slobizman wrote:

> I too have a permissions problem with XP Home SP2. One of my
> computers is not letting my admin users run Quickbooks Pro 2005. I've
> installed it under an Admin and try running it under an Admin. It
> tells me:
>
> \"USER ACCESS RIGHTS PROBLEM: Must have power user or Administrator
> group rights...\"
>
> I've tried everything I can think of, and have even reinstalled in
> place XP Home SP2. I can install and run it on other computers.
>
> Someone pointed me to this forum/thread. I was excited when I heard
> about SECEDIT, until I realized it was only in XP Pro.
>
> I looked at Doug Knox's site, specifically at the Security Console. I
> wasn't sure that the Security Console would fix whatever my problem
> is.
> Do you think it will? I really need to just reset the whole
> permissions system back to where it is supposed to be, not just fix it
> user-by-user, as each new admin user I create has the same problem.
>
> I'm going nuts, having spent the entire weekend on this. Any help is
> really appreciated!!!!

This is an issue with QuickBooks. Contact Intuit or look on their
website for a workaround or instructions on how to get their (badly
written) software to work with XP. Intuit has known about this issue
for a long time. Perhaps they've put a patch on their website.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

I just spoke to Intuit. I had to call twice because the first guy really
wasted my time; second time I asked for a higher level support.

Intuit says they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.
Problem is they have not yet figuired out why on some XP Home SP2
computers are having this problem. Many have called in with the
problem; but many, many more have it working properly.

--
slobizman
slobizman's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=9447
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=799036

It appears that is not only inituit with difficulties because I get similar
situation with installing Adobe photoshop album on my machine. Any better
ideas?