Question Deleted files reappear after restart or refresh

Parham8

Prominent
May 25, 2019
Hi.
My windows crashed while installing updates, so I tried formatting my disks. However, the one with os act in a strange way. I cannot format it. After installing new os on another disk, I tried to change the ownership of previous windows files in order to remove them. This way they can be deleted but after restarting or even formatting the drive, they reappear. I can not format with cmd nor via boot. The only thing that I can do is to clean the disk with cmd. But when I try to create a new partition, an error comes up and the same files reappear again.
Also everytime I boot with os Disk, I get this warning:
"it looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media..." with yes leading me to exit, and no leading me to os setup page.
I would appreciate your help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
can you post a screenshot of your disk management screen please. this will help see what the current situation is and help in coming up with a fix.

also did you have the messed up drive installed when you installed to the new drive? or was the new drive the only one installed at the time?

Reactions: Parham8

Parham8

Prominent
May 25, 2019
Here is a screenshot:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/vbq725sz2vfirv7/20190526_114040.jpg/file

And yes I had the messed up drive when installing the new os on other drive. But then I cleaned (deleted) both of them, unpluged the messed up one, Installed the new os again on new partition, then plugged the messed up one, and the files were there again and I didn't even create any partitions for it. After plugging in, it just created the partition for itself and files reappeared again!
I also tried safe mod. Same as normal I can remove some of them, and others by changing the ownership; only to restart and see them reappeared. Formatting the drive after removing the files is the same thing without even restarting.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is odd. i've seen installs windows had trouble with but nothing that linux or a 3rd party boot disk could not handle.
i'm not sure where to go from here if the 3rd party software and linux distro could not remove it.

my thought considering the facts are that the drive itself is dead. if the indexing is that messed up that it can't be removed, then likely the whole drive is just down for the count. at least it was a small drive so you probably did not have anything on it you needed saved.

looks like it's time to invest in a new back-up/data drive. i bought a 2 TB WD blue not too long ago at best buy for like $55 if i recall right. pretty cheap for a massive space upgrade for you.

Parham8

Prominent
May 25, 2019
Yeah it was really odd for me untill my friend also said that the drive is dead. Yeah I backed up everything before hopefully. Thank you for your suggestion :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it reminded me of what happens when sd cards die. usually can still read the files but can't change anything or format it.

at least ssd prices are super low right now and you can probably move up to a nice one for little cost. i bought a 240 gb PNY cs900 on sale for $25 not too long ago!! it's on the budget end of performance but the cost was too low to pass up. i tb models are under $100 which is crazy low compared to what they were 6 months ago.