[SOLVED] Deleted my GPU entirely from PC?

Dec 16, 2019
I had issues downloading the most current driver for my rtx2070, geforce experience won't install and cannot install rivers manually. My GPU doesn't show in device manager at all and is also not recognized in BIOS. I went to Nvidia support where they suggested that I run DDU, reseat my GPU in another PCIe slot and try to download the drivers again. None of those worked so I tried an Rx580 XC Ultra that I had laying around, that too had issued downloading drivers and does not show in device manager. I feel like I have tried everything with no luck and all the forums I have seen didn't help. Anyone have this issue before and solved it? Would a fresh install of OS work?

MOBO; TUF gaming x570 (wifi)
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
GPU: Rtx 2070
Ram: Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair 850w

Last edited:
Solution
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4777/~/nvidia-dch/standard-display-drivers-for-windows-10-faq

Note the date on this article is December 9, 2019, and the latest drivers are dated December 10, 2019.

Prior to these latest drivers, the Nvidia website allowed you to select a 'Driver Type', of either 'Standard' or 'DCH'. You would have to choose 'DCH' drivers if your current installation had DCH drivers, and vice-versa. If you didn't, you'd get an error when you installed the downloaded drivers, stating the new drivers weren't compatible.

When you try to install the new drivers, were you getting an incompatibility error?

Although the article in the link indicates you can now install the currently...
What are the rest of your specs?
You apparently have another graphics adapter since you can see the device manager without the rtx2070.
If a graphics card does not show up as a device, you may not have connected the requisite power leads or some other setup problem.
Downloading the driver directly from nvidia is an entirely separate process.
Any graphics card will have a default low res mode that works without any driver at all.

Dec 16, 2019
What are the rest of your specs?
You apparently have another graphics adapter since you can see the device manager without the rtx2070.
If a graphics card does not show up as a device, you may not have connected the requisite power leads or some other setup problem.
Downloading the driver directly from nvidia is an entirely separate process.
Any graphics card will have a default low res mode that works without any driver at all.
I revised my post with the specs. Is it possible it's taking the CPU video output and running it through the GPU?

Dec 16, 2019
You can try a fresh windows installation.
Some RTX cards start to fail by not being recognized in device manager.

Can you test your GPU in another PC?
It it does the same I would RMA the card.
Interesting, why would my other RX580 card have the same issues though? The drivers for that would also not download.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4777/~/nvidia-dch/standard-display-drivers-for-windows-10-faq

Note the date on this article is December 9, 2019, and the latest drivers are dated December 10, 2019.

Prior to these latest drivers, the Nvidia website allowed you to select a 'Driver Type', of either 'Standard' or 'DCH'. You would have to choose 'DCH' drivers if your current installation had DCH drivers, and vice-versa. If you didn't, you'd get an error when you installed the downloaded drivers, stating the new drivers weren't compatible.

When you try to install the new drivers, were you getting an incompatibility error?

Although the article in the link indicates you can now install the currently available driver over Standard or DCH drivers, I would guess Nvidia hasn't worked out all the bugs in the install yet.

Personally, I currently have installed DCH drivers. The DCH drivers were automatically installed when I did a fresh Windows 10 install with my 2060 super plugged into my motherboard. The first time I grabbed updated drivers from the Nvidia website, I chose the 'Standard' driver type (because I didn't know I had DCH drivers) and I got an incompatibility error. When I noticed I had DCH drivers and did some googling, I grabbed the DCH drivers and haven't had issues since.

I'm not sure what state your PC is currently in. If you can, try to rollback to the original driver for your graphics card. I'd then wait maybe for the NEXT driver Nvidia releases and see if they have the bugs worked out.

As an alternative, a 'fresh' Windows 10 install should do the job.

Last edited:
Solution