Dell ATX Power Supplies - standard or custom?

Hi all,
Just found this newsgroup. We have had to take a Dell PC from work to a
local PC shop as its PSU blew. We were told they are hard to get hold of as
Dell PSU's are not standard ATX power supplies. Does anyone know if this is
true? unfortunately it was taken in before I could look at it as its out of
warranty. I apologise for not having the model number but its a Pentium III
ATX Tower.

Regards,
Graham
UK.

Graham,

Post the specific name/model number of the system. Someone here will know.

Stew

"The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Just found this newsgroup. We have had to take a Dell PC from work to a
> local PC shop as its PSU blew. We were told they are hard to get hold of
> as Dell PSU's are not standard ATX power supplies. Does anyone know if
> this is true? unfortunately it was taken in before I could look at it as
> its out of warranty. I apologise for not having the model number but its a
> Pentium III ATX Tower.
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> UK.

If you have your Dell service tag (serial number) of that unit, you can look
up your system's exact power supply with corresponding Dell Part Number
(DPN) *online*. From there, you can order a refurbished PSU from Dell.
http://support.dell.com -- Now, if you're the dude in charge of repairing
stuff around there, find a NEW Dell service tag and log into
premiumsupport.dell.com and you'll get a much better website with much
better services.

With next day delivery, you should be able to solve your problem in under 24
hours.

"Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
> If you have your Dell service tag (serial number) of that unit, you can
> look up your system's exact power supply with corresponding Dell Part
> Number (DPN) *online*. From there, you can order a refurbished PSU from
> Dell.
> http://support.dell.com -- Now, if you're the dude in charge of repairing
> stuff around there, find a NEW Dell service tag and log into
> premiumsupport.dell.com and you'll get a much better website with much
> better services.
>
> With next day delivery, you should be able to solve your problem in under
> 24 hours.
>

> "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> Just found this newsgroup. We have had to take a Dell PC from work to a
>> local PC shop as its PSU blew. We were told they are hard to get hold of
>> as Dell PSU's are not standard ATX power supplies. Does anyone know if
>> this is true? unfortunately it was taken in before I could look at it as
>> its out of warranty. I apologise for not having the model number but its
>> a Pentium III ATX Tower.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Graham
>> UK.

Thanks for the information everyone. Much appreciated.

Graham.

you need the service tag.
Or I do. Can't do squat without it, but you *could* try looking up the
model without the service tag. Not as entirely accurate, however...

> you need the service tag.
> Or I do. Can't do squat without it, but you *could* try looking up the
> model without the service tag. Not as entirely accurate, however...
>

> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>> Dick Silk wrote:
>>> If you have your Dell service tag (serial number) of that unit, you can
>>> look up your system's exact power supply with corresponding Dell Part
>>> Number (DPN) *online*. From there, you can order a refurbished PSU from
>>> Dell.
>>> http://support.dell.com --
>>
>> I've tried before and wasn't able to find a page where you can order or
>> look up parts online. Could you provide a link?

A quick question, can Dell Power Supplies be replaced with standard ATX
power supplies such as Antec etc or are they a special design? I realise
this might only apply to certain models and I am in the UK.

"The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message news:<4157a292$0$20257$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...
> "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
> > you need the service tag.
> > Or I do. Can't do squat without it, but you *could* try looking up the
> > model without the service tag. Not as entirely accurate, however...
> >

> > "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I've tried before and wasn't able to find a page where you can order or
> >> look up parts online. Could you provide a link?
> >

> A quick question, can Dell Power Supplies be replaced with standard ATX
> power supplies such as Antec etc or are they a special design? I realise
> this might only apply to certain models and I am in the UK.

Depends on the vintage; until recently, most Dells used NON STANDARD
wiring on their power supplies. Adaptors used to be available in the
US to allow use of standard ATX power supplies with Dell motherboards.
Don't be tempted to try a standard power supply - many motherboards
have been fried that way....

It depends on the model but I believe for the past few years now the Dell
systems use a standard PS. I believe the proprietary PS were dropped around
2000 or so.

Regards,
John O.

"The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message

> "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
>> you need the service tag.
>> Or I do. Can't do squat without it, but you *could* try looking up the
>> model without the service tag. Not as entirely accurate, however...
>>

>> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've tried before and wasn't able to find a page where you can order or
>>> look up parts online. Could you provide a link?
>>

> A quick question, can Dell Power Supplies be replaced with standard ATX
> power supplies such as Antec etc or are they a special design? I realise
> this might only apply to certain models and I am in the UK.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 06:18:46 +0100, "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>A quick question, can Dell Power Supplies be replaced with standard ATX
>power supplies such as Antec etc or are they a special design? I realise
>this might only apply to certain models and I am in the UK.

Standard ATX power supplies can be used in Dell systems if and only if you know
for sure that the motherboard/power supply combo in the specific Dell system is
not one of the earlier faux ATX types, i.e. an ATX-like connector with different
voltages on the pins than ATX. Someone made an earlier posting in this
newsgroup explaining EXACTLY which Dell models are standard ATX. I recently
installed an Antec P4 power supply in a Dell 4300 which I am bringing back to
life... Ben Myers

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 06:18:46 +0100, "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com>
> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>
>>A quick question, can Dell Power Supplies be replaced with standard ATX
>>power supplies such as Antec etc or are they a special design? I realise
>>this might only apply to certain models and I am in the UK.
>>

> Standard ATX power supplies can be used in Dell systems if and only if you
> know
> for sure that the motherboard/power supply combo in the specific Dell
> system is
> not one of the earlier faux ATX types, i.e. an ATX-like connector with
> different
> voltages on the pins than ATX. Someone made an earlier posting in this
> newsgroup explaining EXACTLY which Dell models are standard ATX. I
> recently
> installed an Antec P4 power supply in a Dell 4300 which I am bringing back
> life... Ben Myers

As a general rule:

The Dimension 23XX-3000 models have standard ATX supplies (though max.watts
vary from 200w upward to 250w, I believe)

The Dimension 4300-4600 models also have standard ATX, with the output
seldom varying from 250w.

The Dimension 8200-8300 models are standard ATX, ranging from 250w to 305w.

The new Dimension 4700 and 8400 appear to have ( what I think are ) standard
BTX supplies and range up to 350w. These will not work with the older ATX
boards unless there's some adapter out there.

Slimline models of the Dimension, while ATX, have specific external
(housing) measurements that probably limit replacement to Dell-only
components, and range from 130w all the way up to 200 or 250w.

Generally, any models previous to that will have proprietary Dell connects,
with the possible exception of the Dimension 2100 and 2200. With those
machines, one needs to verify visually. I've understood that the 2200 is
indeed ATX from someone in a newsgroup.

The Optiplex desktop line is another matter entirely due to the various case
form factors and models.

Stew

> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>

>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 06:18:46 +0100, "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com>
>> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>>A quick question, can Dell Power Supplies be replaced with standard ATX
>>>power supplies such as Antec etc or are they a special design? I realise
>>>this might only apply to certain models and I am in the UK.
>>>

>> Standard ATX power supplies can be used in Dell systems if and only if
>> you know
>> for sure that the motherboard/power supply combo in the specific Dell
>> system is
>> not one of the earlier faux ATX types, i.e. an ATX-like connector with
>> different
>> voltages on the pins than ATX. Someone made an earlier posting in this
>> newsgroup explaining EXACTLY which Dell models are standard ATX. I
>> recently
>> installed an Antec P4 power supply in a Dell 4300 which I am bringing
>> back to
>> life... Ben Myers
>

> As a general rule:
>
> The Dimension 23XX-3000 models have standard ATX supplies (though
> max.watts vary from 200w upward to 250w, I believe)
>
> The Dimension 4300-4600 models also have standard ATX, with the output
> seldom varying from 250w.
>
> The Dimension 8200-8300 models are standard ATX, ranging from 250w to
> 305w.
>
> The new Dimension 4700 and 8400 appear to have ( what I think are )
> standard BTX supplies and range up to 350w. These will not work with the
> older ATX boards unless there's some adapter out there.
>
> Slimline models of the Dimension, while ATX, have specific external
> (housing) measurements that probably limit replacement to Dell-only
> components, and range from 130w all the way up to 200 or 250w.
>
> Generally, any models previous to that will have proprietary Dell
> connects, with the possible exception of the Dimension 2100 and 2200.
> With those machines, one needs to verify visually. I've understood that
> the 2200 is indeed ATX from someone in a newsgroup.
>
> The Optiplex desktop line is another matter entirely due to the various
> case form factors and models.
>
> Stew

Ok thanks very much for your help and trouble, much appreciated everyone!
Printed all this out.
Regards,
Graham.

So, does any of you know the exact size of Dell Dim8300 motherboard?
I'm going to upgrade my box but don't know the size of the mobo so
that I can get a proper case for it.
Thanks in advance.

On 16 Oct 2004 17:02:31 -0400, zzzz wrote in

> So, does any of you know the exact size of Dell Dim8300 motherboard?
> I'm going to upgrade my box but don't know the size of the mobo so
> that I can get a proper case for it.

As far as I know only a Dell case will work with a Dell motherboard. The
screw holes are in different places than the usual motherboard standards
and I'm pretty sure you don't want to try drilling new ones. :)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"zzzz" <huyrich@Hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> So, does any of you know the exact size of Dell Dim8300 motherboard?
> I'm going to upgrade my box but don't know the size of the mobo so
> that I can get a proper case for it.
> Thanks in advance.

These are for the PowerEdge 400 SC, which has an almost identical system
board. However, I don't think you want to venture putting an 8300 mainboard
into a retail case. There will be problems.

http://www.aaltonen.us/gallery/400sc/motherboard_top

http://www.aaltonen.us/gallery/400sc/motherboard_bottom_measured

http://www.aaltonen.us/gallery/400sc/dimensions

Stew