Feb 2, 2020
DELL E5420 Thermal Problem

Greetings friends, This time, I purchased a DELL E5420 CORE i5 2520m laptop for office. In principle I know that it is an old laptop but I only need it for a couple of things, I bought it on ebay and everything is fine. But it came with a problem. The laptop turns on and does not mark any errors, but after 5 min it turns off, clearly due to overheating.

1. The temperature goes from 58 ° C to 100 ° C in 15 seconds. at the same time the fan speeds up disproportionately of course for the same problem.
  2. Without a doubt the first thing I did was change the thermal paste, clean the fan cooler, oil it, and make a diagnosis of possible failures
  3. I found on a physical level that everything was very original, well maintained and working as it should.
  4. I tried the battery alone, change the charger, change the battery, I used it without a battery and only with a charger and it is always the same result
  5. All this happens both in the BIOS and in windows, it has the same behavior.
My question is: How do I know if the problem is in the processor, or a motherboard chipset problem? Do you offer a solution that has not occurred to me?

I read them friends.

After 5 minutes out of the nothing in idle, or while doing something?
There has to be one option in bios - for disabling Intel Turbo Boost Technology. Something around options such as Advanced/Voltage/Clocking/Overclocking.
If you find it (well, you will, I guess), turn it off and say what happens when turning on the laptop with booting and usual working, afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAAC26
Feb 2, 2020
After 5 minutes out of the nothing in idle, or while doing something?
There has to be one option in bios - for disabling Intel Turbo Boost Technology. Something around options such as Advanced/Voltage/Clocking/Overclocking.
If you find it (well, you will, I guess), turn it off and say what happens when turning on the laptop with booting and usual working, afterwards.

Thanks for answering.

The laptop has the Turbo Boost Technology option, disable it but the problem persists. It is a really basic laptop so it has no overclocking options.

The thermal problem happens anywhere. If I go to the BIOS and wait there for about 5 min, it will overheat and turn off.

The fan is clean and well installed together with the cooling system.

The bios has a variety of things, get to know with them, maybe some of them can help. There may be something related to downclocking the cpu and maybe some other component, or some other interesting setting. This has a limited chance of discovering something as you said the Turbo Boost disabling did not succeed...

Giving the laptop to qualified support may be helpful, but sometimes they may literally change almost everything and things to be still with no remarkable change.

Check out the cpu socket with some glass - glasses, microscope, or whatever, or, if your eyes are good & acute, it can be just with them... See if some pin(s) are deviated(bent), or even broken, compared to the others.

Keep in mind you can literally dissasemble the sytem to run with minimal part of the things - literally just the mobo with the cpu and the laptop's CPU being in action. This may help excluding something like an improper contact happening somewhere or a wrong compatibility in some component(s). You really don't even need a display for this. You just put things on non-conductive material - wood, styrofoam, etc in small pieces in the angles or in the screws' holes' places, turn it on with the button/or screwdriver but I am not sure how does this method would work in laptop system, and then it is expected to POST as you are trying the things without the ram. You can then wait - after it posting with its beeps or whatever, after 5-10 minutes maybe it will not thermal-throttle and turn off? Next step is to try putting ram sticks one-by one in different ram slots (this is with restarts, ofc, all steps need a turned off machine between them). As for the cooler system, you may disconnect the fan for a short time, just to see what 'd happen, but ofc. this may be performed for a very short amount of time, and you need a substitution of the cooling - either your hand on the radiators/cpu surface, or whatever there is, or another separate fan. You need to investigate both the cases - with, and without a fan, after the ram stick (s) one-after-another you can connect the display, and so on.
With this I pretty much I am trying to tell you that to exclude a component, you can try running the system in different situations - from a bare minimum of components to a fully-assembled system.

I have the feeling that this is related to something between the motherboard and the cpu, a bit more likely to the motherboard, but still might be something else. If you don't estimate something, at least you can give the info of what you did, to the one who probably you will give some money to investigate your system on his own.

Reactions: MAAC26

TRENDING THREADS