Question Dell G3 cpu temps high on idle?

Aug 23, 2019
I just got a brand new Laptop for school. I wanted somethjnf I could game on since I wasn’t bringing my RIG. It’s got a I7-9750H and a 1650. The first thing I did when I opened it was download league of legends . Whilst it was dowloadning I opened up AlienWareCommandCenter. From there you can see cpu and gou temps and speeds etc. I was looking at the cpu and it was jumping inbetween 65-75 . Is that not high for just downloading a game? Then after league finished I opened up the game and started playing . I cranked the settings to max and was getting about 200 FPS but the cpu temps weregettinf pretty high 80+. I capped the FPS at 144 but I started getting drops to 120-96 then right back to 144. I tabbed out and it said the cpu temp was 100!!! But then it dropped down to 80 then to 90 just jumping back and fourth. I had only been running the game for about 8 minutes

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly download something like HWInfo and monitor temperatures through there also and see if it is a software issue.
Is the laptop plugged in per chance when the game is being played?

if it is actually overheating, I'd be tempted to simply return it being as it is new.

Aug 23, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly download something like HWInfo and monitor temperatures through there also and see if it is a software issue.
Is the laptop plugged in per chance when the game is being played?

if it is actually overheating, I'd be tempted to simply return it being as it is new.
I Downloaded HWInfo and the temps were very close on both software. When I boot my laptop up the idle temp is around 50. But it jumps all over. 50,60,80,60,40 just really quickly non stop. I also noticed there is a strange high pitch buzzing sound that goes on and off aswell . For all I know my laptop could be completely fine but I worry a lot when I get new tech because I don’t want to wait to long if it’s not working correctly and not get coverage