[SOLVED] Dell G5 5500 Won't Boot into the BIOS or Windows?

Aug 6, 2020
New Dell G5 5500

Reset to BIOS defaults vs system defaults. (Dell BIOS provides 2 different options for defaults)
For some reason after resetting to the default BIOS settings the Laptop stopped booting past Dell splash screen.

Cannot load into the BIOS or Windows.

If I press F2 or F12 during startup, the splash screen will show that it is preparing to load the BIOS or Advanced Boot options respectively, but the progress bar at the bottom stalls at about 1/3.

I have tried using several methods to restore the BIOS and correct this issue:
  • Holding CTRL+ESC during boot to attempt BIOS recovery
  • Holding the Power button down for 30 seconds to restore BIOS defaults
  • Holding down Fn key+Power during boot to force Boot recovery
  • Removing the CMOS battery to clear CMOS

Dell Tech support is arranging a motherboard swap (under warranty), but I would like to try to find a way to resolve this issue without changing the motherboard as it will require someone to come onsite for the repair and Dell has no idea how long it will take for that to be possible.

Thanks in advance for any possible assistance.

Solution
Thanks for the explanation. At least I understand why this happened lol

Is there a way to revert to system defaults without being able to access the BIOS?
No, it has to be done in the BIOS.
You could try disconnecting the power cord, removing the battery, removing the CMOS battery and pressing the power button for 20 seconds a couple of times to discharge capacitors.
Wait around an hour then insert the CMOS battery and connect the power cord (leave out the laptop battery) and power the laptop.
If you are able to get into the BIOS, you might be able to revert the settings by selecting " Last Known Good Settings" in the BIOS.
New Dell G5 5500

Reset to BIOS defaults vs system defaults. (Dell BIOS provides 2 different options for defaults)
For some reason after resetting to the default BIOS settings the Laptop stopped booting past Dell splash screen.

Cannot load into the BIOS or Windows.

If I press F2 or F12 during startup, the splash screen will show that it is preparing to load the BIOS or Advanced Boot options respectively, but the progress bar at the bottom stalls at about 1/3.

I have tried using several methods to restore the BIOS and correct this issue:
  • Holding CTRL+ESC during boot to attempt BIOS recovery
  • Holding the Power button down for 30 seconds to restore BIOS defaults
  • Holding down Fn key+Power during boot to force Boot recovery
  • Removing the CMOS battery to clear CMOS
Dell Tech support is arranging a motherboard swap (under warranty), but I would like to try to find a way to resolve this issue without changing the motherboard as it will require someone to come onsite for the repair and Dell has no idea how long it will take for that to be possible.

Thanks in advance for any possible assistance.
If you cannot get into the BIOS there isn't anything you could do.
If you were able to get into the BIOS, you might be able to load " Last Known Good Settings" accessible on the same Restore Settings button.
Allow Dell tech to replace the motherboard, since it could be faulty.
BIOS Default erases all UEFI settings. It erases the OS UEFI variables that store boot order and key database information for Secure Boot. When that information is cleared the laptop not longer boots since it does not have the required data to do so.

System Defaults reverts back to how it came configured from Dell.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020
BIOS Default erases all UEFI settings. It erases the OS UEFI variables that store boot order and key database information for Secure Boot. When that information is cleared the laptop not longer boots since it does not have the required data to do so.

System Defaults reverts back to how it came configured from Dell.

Is there a way to revert to system defaults without being able to access the BIOS?

You could try disconnecting the power cord, removing the battery, removing the CMOS battery and pressing the power button for 20 seconds a couple of times to discharge capacitors.
Wait around an hour then insert the CMOS battery and connect the power cord (leave out the laptop battery) and power the laptop.
If you are able to get into the BIOS, you might be able to revert the settings by selecting " Last Known Good Settings" in the BIOS.

Solution
Aug 6, 2020
Are you familiar with Dell Command | Configure?

I found a Dell KB article (Article ID: SLN298106) that outlines what you explained earlier about BIOS vs System Defaults. The article says that Dell Command | Configure could be used to adjust settings but I haven't figured out if there is a way for me to use the program to correct my issue yet. I'm going to keep researching.

Are you familiar with Dell Command | Configure?

I found a Dell KB article (Article ID: SLN298106) that outlines what you explained earlier about BIOS vs System Defaults. The article says that Dell Command | Configure could be used to adjust settings but I haven't figured out if there is a way for me to use the program to correct my issue yet. I'm going to keep researching.
Yes, I am very familiar with Dell Command & Configure, which is geared to business.
It does provides configuration capability to business client platforms and you will need to get into the BIOS and the OS or both to be able to configure it..
It does not going to help with your issue.

Aug 6, 2020
So I unplugged the power adapter, removed the CMOS battery, discharged the capacitors a couple of times, and let it sit for a couple days vs the 1 hour recommended.

When I replaced the CMOS battery, plugged in the power adapter (Leaving the battery disconnected) and powered up the laptop; I was able to get into the BIOS and I am typing to you from my previously unable to boot Laptop!

Thanks for your patience and suggestion @jojesa , It worked!

So I unplugged the power adapter, removed the CMOS battery, discharged the capacitors a couple of times, and let it sit for a couple days vs the 1 hour recommended.

When I replaced the CMOS battery, plugged in the power adapter (Leaving the battery disconnected) and powered up the laptop; I was able to get into the BIOS and I am typing to you from my previously unable to boot Laptop!

Thanks for your patience and suggestion @jojesa , It worked!
Glad your system came back to life.
Test it, to make sure it performs as i should...otherwise have support look at it.