[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 15 5559 light turns on one time but pressing the power button doesn't boot the laptop up

Nov 14, 2023
So I recently got my laptop's motherboard replaced and after a few tweaks here and there so far issues have bee minimal to say the least however, there are instances where everytime I plug the charger into my laptop the light on it turns on indicating there's power but if I go ahead and press the power button it won't boot up, I've tried everything to solve it disassembling, and reassembling it and making sure there wasn't a connector out of place, I also went ahead and replaced the CMOS batter as well as updating the BIOS to the latest version but nothing I do seems to work, I'd really appreciate it if someone knew what is happening and thanks in advance.

Also if it helps, my last motherboard before it got replaced had an i5 and after I replaced it, it got an i7 so I'm suspecting a few compatibility issues

Edit: Sorry I left this out but, I got it to boot up by plugging and unplugging the charger I had to do this multiple times just for it to boot one time

Last edited:
1) Before doing the replacement, did whoever installed it confirm that it was compatible with all the other components? Typically DELL motherboards are custom-programmed and don't always jive with other hardware out there.
2) Are you showing anything listed under "Other Devices" or with yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

Nov 14, 2023
1) Before doing the replacement, did whoever installed it confirm that it was compatible with all the other components? Typically DELL motherboards are custom-programmed and don't always jive with other hardware out there.
2) Are you showing anything listed under "Other Devices" or with yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?
1. Honestly I doubt they checked if it was compatible with other components
2. Nothing seems to be out of order, the only ones that have yellow exclamation marks are the USB drives but those seem to be working in order

I'm assuming it wasn't a DELL warranty replacement since it was upgraded (which rarely happens under warranty terms with DELL) and the fact that you've tinkered on the inside yourself.

Are you able to run HWInfo or CPU-Z and post the results to an image hosting site like Imgur so we can see what you are working with to help rule out possibilities of incompatibilities?

Also, having exclamation marks on the USB devices is not a good thing as it could be causing the system to not boot or power up correctly if the system is trying to see them for something they aren't.

Nov 14, 2023
I'm assuming it wasn't a DELL warranty replacement since it was upgraded (which rarely happens under warranty terms with DELL) and the fact that you've tinkered on the inside yourself.

Are you able to run HWInfo or CPU-Z and post the results to an image hosting site like Imgur so we can see what you are working with to help rule out possibilities of incompatibilities?

Also, having exclamation marks on the USB devices is not a good thing as it could be causing the system to not boot or power up correctly if the system is trying to see them for something they aren't.
Here's a few screenshots of my motherboard's specs I took from HWInfo and CPU-Z let me know if you need more:

View: https://imgur.com/L3xUjUq

View: https://imgur.com/tSNmlik

View: https://imgur.com/OJn6jr5

View: https://imgur.com/BZYtXB3

View: https://imgur.com/Uz2kGYW

View: https://imgur.com/N717CgR

Thanks for the info!

The good news is the CPU and memory are both compatible. I confirmed the CPU and memory type via DELL's site found HERE. As well as I confirmed that the memory installed is the L variant as indicated via Crucial's website.

The battery isn't removable so we can't eliminate that as a variable (not that it is likely the source anyway).

1) Does it power on correctly via just the battery? Or is the battery completely dead?
2) Are we using the original AC Adapter or an aftermarket, 3rd party replacement?
2.1) If third party, did we confirm that it's a 65W adapter like the original and the barrel configuration is the same?
3) Does the adapter port wiggle or move at all when the cord is plugged in?
4) When the adapter is plugged in, does the LED on the brick (there should either be a green or blue one) stay on or go out? Does moving the plug while connected affect this?
5) Pull the memory, does the system give you beep codes after powering on?

Nov 14, 2023
Thanks for the info!

The good news is the CPU and memory are both compatible. I confirmed the CPU and memory type via DELL's site found HERE. As well as I confirmed that the memory installed is the L variant as indicated via Crucial's website.

The battery isn't removable so we can't eliminate that as a variable (not that it is likely the source anyway).

1) Does it power on correctly via just the battery? Or is the battery completely dead?
2) Are we using the original AC Adapter or an aftermarket, 3rd party replacement?
2.1) If third party, did we confirm that it's a 65W adapter like the original and the barrel configuration is the same?
3) Does the adapter port wiggle or move at all when the cord is plugged in?
4) When the adapter is plugged in, does the LED on the brick (there should either be a green or blue one) stay on or go out? Does moving the plug while connected affect this?
5) Pull the memory, does the system give you beep codes after powe

I just have to say, it makes me so happy for you to confirm that the compatibility was in fact, not the problem thank you so much I was thinking about that for days on end :)

As for the other questions

1. The battery is dead I've had 2 replacements for the past 6 years and the one I'm using right now barely charges above 4%

2. I am using the adapter the laptop originally came with

3. The adapter doesn't appear to be loose or anything

4. There are some instances where, if I plug in the adapter, the LED lights up but if I press the power button it doesn't boot up at all however there are some instances where once I do plug in the adapter both the LED lights and the light on the caps lock light up and it turns off and on 2 times before finally booting up.

5. I removed the memory and the LEDs lit up orange 2 times and then white 3 times

I just have to say, it makes me so happy for you to confirm that the compatibility was in fact, not the problem thank you so much I was thinking about that for days on end :)

As for the other questions

1. The battery is dead I've had 2 replacements for the past 6 years and the one I'm using right now barely charges above 4%

2. I am using the adapter the laptop originally came with

3. The adapter doesn't appear to be loose or anything

4. There are some instances where, if I plug in the adapter, the LED lights up but if I press the power button it doesn't boot up at all however there are some instances where once I do plug in the adapter both the LED lights and the light on the caps lock light up and it turns off and on 2 times before finally booting up.

5. I removed the memory and the LEDs lit up orange 2 times and then white 3 times
1) Interesting life span and replacement history. The connectors, wiring could be going bad internally which is resulting in the low-charge performance (I've seen it happen a few times when a machine pushes age).

2) Do you have a spare or different adapter you can test it with?

3) That's very good!

4) Usually if both light up (especially the CAPS LOCK) that's a good thing and it it lighting up twice before booting is simply a pre-boot test configuration that DELL has used for many years.

5) I had you do that just to confirm that the motherboard is functioning like it should, which it did by giving off the LED code for no memory installed which is what you saw.

Long story short, 1) I would definitely try getting another AC Adapter and trying it (they can most certainly wear out over time). 2) I'm wondering if either something is touching metal under the motherboard near the charging port and its causing the machine to No POST or the port itself is triggering something.

Nov 14, 2023
1) Interesting life span and replacement history. The connectors, wiring could be going bad internally which is resulting in the low-charge performance (I've seen it happen a few times when a machine pushes age).

3) That's very good!

4) Usually if both light up (especially the CAPS LOCK) that's a good thing and it it lighting up twice before booting is simply a pre-boot test configuration that DELL has used for many years.

5) I had you do that just to confirm that the motherboard is functioning like it should, which it did by giving off the LED code for no memory installed which is what you saw.

Long story short, 1) I would definitely try getting another AC Adapter and trying it (they can most certainly wear out over time). 2) I'm wondering if either something is touching metal under the motherboard near the charging port and its causing the machine to No POST or the port itself is

3) That's very good!

Long story short, 1) I would definitely try getting another AC Adapter and trying it (they can most certainly wear out over time). 2) I'm wondering if either something is touching metal under the motherboard near the charging port and its causing the machine to No POST or the port itself is triggering something.
While I was tinkering with my laptop a while back I noticed a few parts namely 2 and after I saw them I didn't know what they were and upon turning my laptop on it still ran fine so I didn't try to reattach it again and just left it to a repairman in the future

Nov 14, 2023
Do you still have said parts and if so can you post pics of them? We might be able to identify them and it could possibly be the source of your problem.
Sorry for the long delay, but update the problem eventually was that my power button's ribbon cable was broken thats why it wasn't turning on so I found a workaround by making it so in the BIOS that everytime I plug my AC adapter in it would boot up my laptop and after I did that everything came around working nicel