Dell Mini 9 Explodes, Burns Hole in Floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
"... I am glad the laptop was not on my couch ...or in an airplane"
Oh my god what if it was on her lap (you know, it is a laptop). Massive $$$ (and pain as well). Lucky girl.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Last night... She brought it downstairs unplugged...
in max 2-3 hours the computer had to be turned off...
Or really it was in a furry couch or it had to be with in 1 hour of unpluging it...
It is good way of getting a free upgrade... but
i do not buy it

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]what about the damage to the floor? I'm sure it'd be a lot more expensive to fix that than to buy a crappy atom computer.[/citation]

By the size of that room, it might be around 1000-2000 depending on geographic location and who's doing it. You can't just fix that particular damaged floor. You have to redo the entire room.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]More cheap Chinese junk.[/citation]

90%+ of the shit in your house came from foreign countries.

if u love ur USA shit so much, go all american, but before then,

just stfu already bitch.

ltgrunt

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I'm just curious - why was the laptop placed in the middle of the floor? There are about five laptops in my house, and none of them get set on the floor when they are or aren't in use. That's just a good way to get them stepped on.

VidGameKing

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I bet you the battery was microwaved! How else do you get a battery to explode like that? They fixed the bad battery issues of the past! Why else would it be placed on the ground in the middle of an empty room? The wood floor adds dramatic effect too, not to mention smoke. And they got a free upgrade too boot! Look at the keys on that laptop, all shiney and worn, I'll bet it was time for an upgrade and they figured the easiest way was to get dell to fit the bill for the whole thing!

HenrikG

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2005
What happened to the pictures on the related story?

"I heard a small poof:" The story of a Dell on fire

Those pictures I took are way better than these ones...

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Cylindrical lithium ion batteries can catch fire if they are punctured, left under the sun to bake for a day or shorted. I'm sure there's a whole lot more ways on the list but the most common failures listed above are from user stupidity or a faulty overcharge prevention circuit which are almost non-existent. Nowadays, even the cheapest chinese cells have built in pressure relief valves so that even in the worst case, they will "only" catch fire.

I'm not one to play online detective but why would she put her laptop on the floor two feet away from her front door? It looks more like she kicked it there after it started burning and if she really has a reason to hide that, who knows what she really did to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.