Dell replaced hard drive

Ole

Just thought I would relate the experience I had with Dell last week.

The hard drive in my Dell Gen 3 gave up the ghost last week and died
completely. I called Dell support and they had me do some dianostics
over the phone.

After completion of the diagnostics she said that the hard drive had
indeed failed and Dell would send out a techniction to replace it with a
new one. The next day I received a call from the tech who had arrived
in town with the new drive and needed directions to my home.

He arrived shortly, replaced the drive and got me up and running in
about an hour.

The impressive part of this story is that the Dell technition had driven
165 miles one way from Duluth, MN, a total of 330 miles to replace the
drive.

I must say that I am really impressed with Dell Service in this matter.

I hope that the technician got paid mileage for his drive. Even with mileage at
$0.40/mile, he probably did not average more than $10/hour. What really
impresses me is that someone will work under contract to Dell at just above the
minimum wage plus all the prestige of being associated with Dell... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> I hope that the technician got paid mileage for his drive. Even with mileage at
> $0.40/mile, he probably did not average more than $10/hour. What really
> impresses me is that someone will work under contract to Dell at just above the
> minimum wage plus all the prestige of being associated with Dell... Ben Myers

Techs don't get paid for travel time?

Rumor is that the contracted Dell techs get paid by the job, and on a low scale
at that. Of course, in the wilds of northern Minnesota or out in Montana, jobs
probably aren't too plentiful, so being a Dell tech looks pretty good. So far,
around here in eastern Massachusetts, I would not entertain doing tech work for
Dell or one of its contractors... Ben Myers

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 04:09:23 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> I hope that the technician got paid mileage for his drive. Even with mileage at
>> $0.40/mile, he probably did not average more than $10/hour. What really
>> impresses me is that someone will work under contract to Dell at just above the
>> minimum wage plus all the prestige of being associated with Dell... Ben Myers
>
>Techs don't get paid for travel time?

In article <42fdf791.368296@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
> Rumor is that the contracted Dell techs get paid by the job, and on a low scale
> at that. Of course, in the wilds of northern Minnesota or out in Montana, jobs
> probably aren't too plentiful, so being a Dell tech looks pretty good. So far,
> around here in eastern Massachusetts, I would not entertain doing tech work for
> Dell or one of its contractors... Ben Myers

My experience indicates there are two levels of on-site dell
technicians. When we had to have firmware updated on our SCSI adapters
and Dell sent the notices out, we had a very nice, very good (knowledge)
young chap out that was from a different company than the ones that
replace drives. He told me that depending on the repair type, that
different companies are used.

When Dell had to replace a drive in another clients servers, the client
had him wait until we got there because the chap was unwashed, unshaven,
smelled real bad from 10+ feet away, and didn't know how to open the
server case....

It appears they use different skill levels of people / companies for
different needs.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> My experience indicates there are two levels of on-site dell
> technicians. When we had to have firmware updated on our SCSI adapters
> and Dell sent the notices out, we had a very nice, very good
> (knowledge)
> young chap out that was from a different company than the ones that
> replace drives. He told me that depending on the repair type, that
> different companies are used.

When I worked at a mainframe site in the 360/370 era, our IBM hardware
field engineer said his management rated each problem call as a "one
banana job" or a "two banana job" and sent out an appropriately
experienced engineer. Joe was proud he always got the two-banana jobs.

Then software problems are three-banana jobs, well beyond the capabilities of
Dell service techs... Ben

Ben Myers wrote:

> Rumor is that the contracted Dell techs get paid by the job, and on a low scale
> at that. Of course, in the wilds of northern Minnesota or out in Montana, jobs
> probably aren't too plentiful, so being a Dell tech looks pretty good. So far,
> around here in eastern Massachusetts, I would not entertain doing tech work for
> Dell or one of its contractors... Ben Myers

I would certainly not sign on for any job in which I had to spend 3 hrs
on the road on my own nickel.

I think this has been covered many times before in thisNG there are 3
companies which are "Deell Service Partners", the two main ones being
Getrinics ((ex WANG)and now also in includes Pink Rocaada and Norsk Date)
and Unisisys these two companies have their own field service engineers and
are paid a salery, they have company cars /van and their petrol is paid for
by the company and they have personal milage and use of the cars for
themselves as well, both companies also employ as and when needed
"contractors" who are paid a "Per call rate" plus a milage allowance they
do not get paid for reattends if its not a 1st time fix, and then there is
"Banctec", who are the new kids on the block, certainly in the UK anyway,
all the techs are contractors, have to use their own cars and dont usually
get paid milage allowance