Question Dell XPS 15 9530: GPU Acting Strange; FPS Drops

Jun 2, 2024
Hello everyone,
Whenever I try to play any game, my starting framerate is good and stable at a constant 60 FPS. However, my GPU usage spikes massively after some time, whether in a static environment or a moving scene, causing my FPS to throttle. It's like my "foot" can't get off the gas when the GPU hits 100%, resulting in "burning rubber." I can reset it by alt-tabbing out and back into the game, but the issue reoccurs.

I've ensured I use my dGPU instead of my iGPU for all testing. Despite doing a complete system reset twice, the problem persists.

Interestingly, this happens on less demanding games like Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, even on the lowest settings on the dGPU. Conversely, I have more FPS stability in GPU-intensive games like Cyberpunk 2077 without upscaling. To illustrate, I've attached a screenshot of Fallout New Vegas running at the lowest resolution and settings yet still hitting 100% GPU usage.

My laptop is in performance mode, connected to AC power, with up-to-date WHQL drivers. I also tested OEM drivers (July 2023) with the same result. This is a brand-new laptop purchased in April, but I only recently started gaming.

Other similar issues relate to thermal or power throttling, but I can run fine with 30W and temperatures up to 80°C. The problem arises when the GPU load reaches 100%, causing my FPS to drop.

CPU: 13th Gen Intel i7-13700H
GPU: Intel Arc A370M
RAM: 16GB DDR5
Motherboard: Dell 0C59PM version A01 (No ReBar Support)
Laptop Resolution: 1980x1200

Thank you for your time and please let me know if any of you have any clue to why this is happening, and I would be happy to provide screenshots and video clips of when the frames drop, or run any software tests.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Despite doing a complete system reset twice, the problem persists.
You should avoid system resets if the first time didn't do anything for you. Instead you should look into reinstalling the OS after recreating your bootable USB installer and installing the OS in offline mode. After that, install all relevant drivers in an elevated command(with the latest driver versions) before connecting to the www to update the OS.

Are you on the latest BIOS version for your laptop?

Jun 2, 2024

You should avoid system resets if the first time didn't do anything for you. Instead you should look into reinstalling the OS after recreating your bootable USB installer and installing the OS in offline mode. After that, install all relevant drivers in an elevated command(with the latest driver versions) before connecting to the www to update the OS.

Okay that is good to know if I need to reset any laptop in the future, all I have done before is either with a system restore point or using windows reset feature.

Yes, I am on the latest BIOS version, 1.13.0.
As far as I am aware, using Dell's built in Support Assist and checking Intel's website, I am using the latest versions of BIOS, GPU, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024

I was wondering how I could go about doing these reset steps, is there a guide on how to set it up?

As the problem still persists and I want to see if this could be the solution or at least allow me to clean up my laptop and start fresh.

TRENDING THREADS