Dell XPS One 27: Can An All-In-One Make Us Love Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
A very important and crucial point: Touch screens are doomed to fail as users will find out soon that their arm, wrist and hand will get tired and sore soon as they keep extending their arms to use this pain producing gadget.
Who ever invented the desktop touch monitor should be shot.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
[citation][nom]JohnUSA[/nom]A very important and crucial point: Touch screens are doomed to fail as users will find out soon that their arm, wrist and hand will get tired and sore soon as they keep extending their arms to use this pain producing gadget.Who ever invented the desktop touch monitor should be shot.[/citation]

There's probably some use for a touchscreen-desktop monitor productivity-wise.

But as a Windows 8 saviour? Hell no!

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
The alternate review is a great Value-addition to this article.
Its important to get a informal, subjective review from a general user. Numbers are very important, but they dont tell the complete picture.

+1 for more "Average Joe" impressions in gadget reviews.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Touchscreens on desktops will never go mainstream. It's just a fad they're trying to push, like 3D was a few years back. People don't like to have to sit close to screens and use their arms to control them - that's why TVs have remotes. Touchscreens on desktops solve nothing and improve nothing. Sure it's more intuitive to touch something than point and click, but anyone who can't figure out pointing and clicking won't get much out of using a computer anyway.
Touchscreens on laptops might suck less as a concept, but laptop screens suck by design because they're so small.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnUSA[/nom]A very important and crucial point: Touch screens are doomed to fail as users will find out soon that their arm, wrist and hand will get tired and sore soon as they keep extending their arms to use this pain producing gadget.Who ever invented the desktop touch monitor should be shot.[/citation]
I find these all-in-one touch screens helpful for kiosks, data centers, production, (kitchen - maybe :p), POS, as a replacement for other tools such as keyboards and mouse - simply for convenience. But yes, not a tool to be used for 8hours work in-front of a computer. And if you would have this for those application I mentioned, this is too damn expensive and ludicrous!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Quick answer, no.

Touchscreen has no place on a desktop, unless you have Felix Unger with plastic gloves touching it. It's messy, and it's hard not to feel like a retard while using it.

This is a solution in search of a problem. I haven't heard too many complaints on the keyboard/mouse interface. I have heard plenty of complaints about Windows 8.

thinslicedbread

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Every time Tom's (or any other site for that matter) posts anything about Windows 8 or touch-screen PC's you always, ALWAYS, get people who instantly denounce such products almost as if they are "of the devil himself". As a power user, or anyone who actually comes to Tom's to read "tech-y" articles - Yes, Windows 8 is probably not for you. That's fine and dandy. But I get so tired of people just instantly proclaiming Windows 8 a failure because of the changes that Microsoft has made to it. While no, it does not have a start button, anyone who has used it for more than a day can tell you that it doesn't really matter. I tap the Windows key and start typing what I want and Windows finds it for me. The start screen gives me a quick overview of important applications without having to actually OPEN the application to find the information. I love my ASUS Vivo Tablet (Windows RT), and I find myself using that more often than my laptop or desktop when I just want to look something up or read and respond to an email.

Case in point: I set my girlfriend up with what I thought was a really nice setup. A touch screen AIO in her spare room. It had (read: HAD) Windows 7 on it. She was constantly complaining about how she hated it when it either did not register her touches or the limited gestures that I so painfully set up. She went months without even turning the damn thing on. She complained that she couldn't do anything with it because it was just too hard to get a simple task done.
Windows 8 comes out last October and I figure I'd give it a shot and if she still didn't like it, I'd have an extra computer in my man cave for something. I can't keep her off the thing. She absolutely loves it. She loves the live tiles, how it recognizes her gestures, how easy it is to navigate. I could go on...
What I wish people would realize is that Windows 8, while it will probably not be as widely accepted as our beloved Windows 7, it is still a pretty solid step forward. If you are a power user (myself included) you will probably never install W8 on your desktop or even your laptop. But it is a fantastic piece of software that can change how people use computers.

magic couch

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
On the file compression page the graphs show winRAR being faster than 7zip yet the article says 7zip is faster. Were the graphs reversed?

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
How ***** think: "There's a touch screen so it MUST be the ONLY interface which I must therefore use CONSTANTLY for everything. My keyboard and mouse will, for some inexplicable reason, become useless, and my arms will get tired from so much reaching.

How normal people think: Cool, a touch screen. Now I have more options. Perhaps one day I'll find an application in which being able to manipulate up to 10 different points simultaneously will be much more practical and time-saving than editing coordinates one at a time.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Wow for $2600 and change you could build a top of the line computer and buy a 27" IPS Dell screen - they frequently go on sale for around $500 - $550. That computer would be somewhere around five times faster than this Dell touch screen and it would have first-class components.

Really there is no comparison. Windows 8 and a touch screen are not worth the trade off. Building a high-end system that blows the Dell away is by far the superior choice.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
We see the future of desktops in movies like Iron Man where there will be a touch interface. However, what we do not see in Iron Man is the input system of these computers which for now will still require a keyboard and mouse. I am neglecting to include "Jarvis" on purpose because I think that personal computers with AI are still a ways away for now.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
And then there's the mess one's fingers will make on a touch screen. I can't see desktop users
being happy with ever-present finger prints, etc. When I get off a bus, I see people sitting using
their smart phones; my first thought is, how can they live with such a filthy screen?? Some of
them look as though they've been dipped in a sewer...

Ian.

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
No Displayport or Thunderbolt, no Intel Gigabit ethernet, one 2.5" drive, no digitiser with a pen, less-than-stellar stand and a TN panel? Sorry Dell, you've lost the plot. Try again.

virgult

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
OK, Macs are overpriced and stuff.
But why on earth would I pay MORE for a PC when there's a widely supported Unix for LESS?

virgult

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
[citation][nom]virgult[/nom]OK, Macs are overpriced and stuff.But why on earth would I pay MORE for a PC when there's a widely supported Unix for LESS?[/citation]

Sorry, I didn't notice the screen was 27". Ok, this puts everything back into perspective again. No flame intended.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]thinslicedbread[/nom]But I get so tired of people just instantly proclaiming Windows 8 a failure because of the changes that Microsoft has made to it. [/citation]

No, we predicted it would be a failure because of the changes Microsoft made to it.

We're proclaiming it a failure because it has a 30% slower adoption rate than Vista had, despite being released just before the Xmas shopping season.

Fans of Windows 8 and Metro need to recognize they're the minority. More than 96% of PC users are not using Windows 8, and the reason is not steep hardware requirements, or bugs, or the unavailability of drivers, but the stupid touch centric interface that most users don't want anywhere near their PCs - hence the 3.3% market share for Windows 8.

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]clifftam[/nom]It looks like a PC version of an iMac to me.[/citation]
Maybe, if so it's way uglier and packed with a crap OS too.

tedmosley

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Replaceable CPU? and what in the world would you replace a 65W 3rd gen i7 with... 4th gen wont work, and PSU wont support a proper 85W CPU.

Impressive specs, but a full 85W i7-3770 CPU would have been better and cost them a few dollars.

Quad HD display will also burn through that GT640. GT650 or AMD 8850 would have been better for this price, and not cost them much extra money. That and an 85W 4th gen i7 CPU and you have something really special.

brendonmc

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Its great to see someone finally trying to make the whole desktop windows 8 concept work with a decent looking all-in-one touch screen (and with decent resolution). Imacs now look like an old-fashioned glass tube tvs from the back and have compromised functionality for aesthetics (c'mon, power button on the back, no side or front usb ports!). But even they aren't don't have touch screens, and he whole Mac OS looks so dated now (because it is).

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Windows 8 represents Microsoft’s first earnest effort to bring mobile users back to the desktop (Ed.: Or is it the other way around?), where they can find huge quantities of local storage and vast computing resources to be more productive, create content, and game in a truly enveloping environment.
Huh? Had it not been for the ed i would have thought i'm not reading properly...

Status
Not open for further replies.