Hello All,

A while back I got a new computer and used Laplink's PCMover to transfer all
my files & programs from the old box to the new. Everything is working
except for one thing. When I right click the desktop to bring up the menu
nothing happens for like 30-40 seconds. The system freezes, you can't click
on anything or open anything. Then it will flash and will be back to normal
but no menu. I can go in thru windows explorer and add shortcuts and folders
and they work and open from the desktop, but I cannot do it from the desktop
directly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Mel

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5dSdnUK4r-0LY0rfRVn-1Q@scnresearch.com,
KPU News Groups <sunwolf_ac@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello All,
>
> A while back I got a new computer and used Laplink's PCMover to transfer
> all my files & programs from the old box to the new. Everything is working
> except for one thing. When I right click the desktop to bring up the menu
> nothing happens for like 30-40 seconds. The system freezes, you can't
> click on anything or open anything. Then it will flash and will be back
> to normal but no menu. I can go in thru windows explorer and add
> shortcuts and folders and they work and open from the desktop, but I
> cannot do it from the desktop directly.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!
> Mel

Are you posting from the problem machine (Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2800.1478)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

KPU News Groups wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> A while back I got a new computer and used Laplink's PCMover to transfer
> all my files & programs from the old box to the new. Everything is working
> except for one thing. When I right click the desktop to bring up the menu
> nothing happens for like 30-40 seconds. The system freezes, you can't
> click on anything or open anything. Then it will flash and will be back
> to normal but no menu. I can go in thru windows explorer and add
> shortcuts and folders and they work and open from the desktop, but I
> cannot do it from the desktop directly.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!
> Mel

My apologies for getting back to you so late. The job had me so busy I was
not able to get to this problem till now. Thru one of the links below I was
able to fix the problem by removing the bad context handle from the
registry.

Thanks for you suggestion I would never have figured that out on my own!