Question Desktop Keeps Restarting Automatically Without Reasons

Apr 17, 2019
My desktop has been restarting automatically without reasons. It keeps restarting infinitely until I manually shut it down or unplug the power. The scenario is very random, sometimes it works fine all day long or even longer until I manually shut it down. But sometimes the restart occurs while I was playing Overwatch, browsing the webs, watching videos or even just sitting there without running any program. I have tried to reinstall my operating system (Windows 10) twice and it didn't solve the problem.

Several possibilities that I had in my mind were 1) power supply, I am very suspicious about this one and I am considering replacing it soon if I still can't any clue; 2) CPU, I asked my professor about the situation and he let me check the overheating of CPU, I didn't install any other cooler but the one came with Intel CPU. I redo the thermal paste for the CPU and nothing has solved so far; 3) motherboard, I don't know what happens if a motherboard fails, but usually, if a motherboard fails then it only shut down the computer instead of restarting again and again.

Here is the specification of my desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
Motherboard: MSI H170 GAMING 3
Graphics Card: MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 220-GS-0550-V1 80+ GOLD
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB

Thank you very much if anyone can help solve this problem, I really appreciate your help.

Are you using the Stock Cooler for the Core i5-6500 CPU ? How OLD is your power supply unit ? That's a decent quality unit though. Could this be related to the Power socket outlet in your room, or any lose connection on your system ?

The PC shouldn't restart while just browsing the Web though.

Apr 17, 2019
Are you using the Stock Cooler for the Core i5-6500 CPU ? How OLD is your power supply unit ? That's a decent quality unit though. Could this be related to the Power socket outlet in your room, or any lose connection on your system ?

The PC shouldn't restart while just browsing the Web though.
Thank you for your help, I am using the stock cooler from Intel, and I bought the power supply along with all the other units. It has been a year and a half. I have tried to connect to different power outlets but it turns out the same result.