[SOLVED] Desktop not performing POST, or booting to BIOS, displays black screen with white underscorei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebiye Idumange Elton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Hi everyone, my desktop doesn't boot to BIOS, or starts POST. I was having an issue with my Graphics card - it's a Sapphire Tri X OC R9 290. So in order to test the problem, I'd take the GPU in and out of the system and turn it on, in order to test if it was working. This morning after installing the GPU, I turned on the PC and it did not boot to BIOS or start POST - only to a black screen with a white underscore. I realised after some inspection, that the power cables to the hard drives were removed while I was installing the GPU. I connected the power cables to the hard drive and turned on PC. The same response. I've tried using the onboard GPU, the same response. I've followed the instructions to clear th CMOS for my motherboard, yet nothing changed. I've disconnected the hard drive and tried to boot from a bootable USB, but still the same response.
I've also tried removing the sticks of RAM I have. I have three sticks. I've tried booting with each one, yet the same response. Pressing the keys that normally lead me to BIOS has no effect on the PC.
I've noticed that when the hard drives are connected, the hard drive LED lights up once I power up the PC, but turns off right before the monitor goes to the black screen. I've also tested the monitor with a console. It works. The system worked flawlessly last night, barring the problems I had with the GPU. I don't have another PC nearby to test my components with.
I'm open to any and all new suggestions.

The PC specs are;

ASUS B85M motherboard
Intel core i7 4770s
16gb RAM
600 watts 80+ bronze PSU (came with prebuilt HPE H9 1010a desktop)
Sapphire Tri X OC R9 290 (is having an issue I'll link to soon)
Barracuda 3TB hard drive
Barracuda 1.5TB hard drive
Hp Blu ray drive

So in order to test the problem, I'd take the GPU in and out of the system and turn it on, in order to test if it was working. This morning after installing the GPU, I turned on the PC and it did not boot to BIOS or start POST - only to a black screen with a white underscore.
If you think your GPU had problem, you should try to boot the PC without r9 290.

Just like you said, the PC worked flawlessly last night without the r9 290, that means either the GPU or PSU has problem. Because you didn't have other PC or parts, so ask your friend or local PC shop for help.

Keep in mind, the r9 290 will draw more power, your old HP PSU may have problem to power up the r9 290.

Ebiye Idumange Elton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
If you think your GPU had problem, you should try to boot the PC without r9 290.

Just like you said, the PC worked flawlessly last night without the r9 290, that means either the GPU or PSU has problem. Because you didn't have other PC or parts, so ask your friend or local PC shop for help.

Keep in mind, the r9 290 will draw more power, your old HP PSU may have problem to power up the r9 290.

I've tried to boot the PC with the onboard GPU. I stated so here (I've tried using the onboard GPU, the same response.) Getting to a local pc shop to test the components might be a bit difficult. It will take a while. But I'm open to any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS