Question Desktop only boots 5mins after initial power on

Thom13

Reputable
May 27, 2016
Hi, I am having trouble with booting my desktop. So let me get straight to the problem, after I press the power button the POST beep will sound off and the monitor will light up (it will not display anything, the monitor will just light up, but its still black) And it will stay like that until I wait for about 10mins then I plug it off then plug it on again and when0 I press the power button this time it will work normally. It always happen every time I open my desktop. What could be the cause of this problem, I suspect the RAM is the issue, if not the whole chassis is grounded (since I got grounded by touching one of the corners of my HDD, but that was long time ago). Any suggestions to solve this guys? I do not want to do this tedious process every time I open my desktop.

SPECS:
Intel i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz
4GB Kingston Ram
Asus H61M- C Motherboard
WD 1TB Blue HDD
Corsair VS550 550watt
No GPU (only the integrated one)

Note:
There is a post beep on the initial boot up (maybe its a different beep code? I dont know it sounds very very alike with normal post beep)
After the whole desktop boots normally, there is like a timer to which you can boot the desktop normally (like maybe 2hrs?) and after that you need to repeat the process of power on, wait 10mins, plug out plug in, power on again.
And desktop is also running dual-boot if that is any help.

Thom13

Reputable
May 27, 2016
Sounds like your CMOS battery is dead and the BIOS settings are resetting - install a new CMOS battery. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get a new cmos battery. Forgive me for my lack of knowledged, Can I ask how can the cmos be the problem? I dont see my desktop having a bad clock.

Are you unplugging the PSU, or are your turning the psu switch on/off.

When you are plugged in and the psu switch is on your bios settings are active.
If the psu is unplugged, that is the only time the cmos battery comes into play to preserve your settings.
Considering the age of your processor, a worn out cmos(CR2032) battery is a possibility.

I might add that the VS series of corsair power supplies are not considered good, You possibly have a bad psu.

In the mean time, I suggest that when you no longer are using the pc, you do not power off.
Use sleep to ram.
That puts your pc and monitor into a very low power state.
It is also much quicker to sleep/wake.

Thom13

Reputable
May 27, 2016
Are you unplugging the PSU, or are your turning the psu switch on/off.

When you are plugged in and the psu switch is on your bios settings are active.
If the psu is unplugged, that is the only time the cmos battery comes into play to preserve your settings.
Considering the age of your processor, a worn out cmos(CR2032) battery is a possibility.

I might add that the VS series of corsair power supplies are not considered good, You possibly have a bad psu.

In the mean time, I suggest that when you no longer are using the pc, you do not power off.
Use sleep to ram.
That puts your pc and monitor into a very low power state.
It is also much quicker to sleep/wake.

Thanks for the reply. I usually plug off my pc after using it.

Right now I am working on an experiment on my desktop. I just shut down my pc from successful boot, but this time I kept it plugged in and the psu on.

I am going to boot it up again tomorrow. If the desktop boots fine tomorrow can I conclude that cmos was the problem? And if not, then I can assume that psu is the problem and investigate it right?