Question Desktop PC Suddenly Shut Down Now Refuses To Power On At All

Nov 21, 2014
Went for a quick toilet break, and when I came back my computer was off and now wont start. I have done most of the troubleshooting that I can, but no matter what i do it just wont start. No fans start spinning, no nothing, but the GPU light turns on and USB connected devices seem to get powerd at least for a bit.
No burning smells nothing seemed more hot than usual. Checked all the parts and none of them have any visible damage. Unfortunatly i cannot try my parts with another computer/motherboard so at this point it seems to be a guessing game of what the problem is. I have also tried shorting the power button following some online guides to try to see if the power button was malfunctioning, but it wont start. I even changed the battery on the motherboard.
The computer is about 1,5 years old i have had it for 6 months and nothing like this has happened before neither has anything in particular changed.
My part list is:
Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-Z270P-D3
Power Supply: 550W Integra (Just read this off it dont really have a part list unfortunaly but specific parts should not be the issue)
CPU: Some type of i5
Ram: 16 gig
GPU: 1060? 1080? Something like that.

Any tips on what i should do next? I am considering just buying a motherboard hailmary style to see if it fixes the problem but wanted to see what all the awesome people at toms hardware thought about this problem.

EDIT: If I'm going to buy a new motherboard and I don't want the same, which motherboard should I get? (It needs to have the same compability with CPU and GPU as this motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z270P-D3)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2014
So I just tried this little trick, is it as likely that it is the power supply now? I took out the power supply and shorted the circut to test it, it seems that it is working since the fan is spinning quite fast. Why would that fan spin but none of the fans inside my computer when I plug it in? Is it likely that I'm having an issue with my mother board?
View: https://i.imgur.com/Fed9pUV.jpg

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
trick exactly, that only verifies the unit can power itself and the fan. it still does not answer if the 12V rail has enough power to start the system. I knew the result of this trick when you stated the LEDs were on. can the unit support the load the system requires, that is the question swapping units answers.

Nov 21, 2014
@R_1 Thank you for the extensive feedback so far! I really appreciate it. I tried to swap my Power Supply with my bigger brother's computer and it works perfectly fine - this excludes the possibility of a broken Power Supply. Does this inherently mean that the problem lies within the motherboard? What do you guys think?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
when you swapped did his PSU start your system? if his PSU ran your system fine, and your ran his fine...
my nephews motherboard just did not work with his new PSU, nothing wrong with either they just did not like each other.
the idea was to test your PSU in his system and your system on his PSU.

no more burning smell? positive it came from the PSU?

Nov 21, 2014
when you swapped did his PSU start your system? if his PSU ran your system fine, and your ran his fine...
my nephews motherboard just did not work with his new PSU, nothing wrong with either they just did not like each other.
the idea was to test your PSU in his system and your system on his PSU.

no more burning smell? positive it came from the PSU?
Yea i tested both my PSU in his and his PSU in mine, unfortunatly his system requires quite a bit more power than mine to run so i did not dare to run it more than a few seconds. But my PSU seemed to work fine in his computer since the comp booted normally and all the fans where spinning for the few seconds i let it run. And when i used his PSU on my setup i had the exact same issues as before. No booting no fans spinning no nothing. Only signs of life is when i plug in my keyboard into a USB port it lights up for a second, and the GPU had a light that lights up as soon as the PSU is plugged in and on.

I have now bought a new motherboard that should come in next week since i suspect that is the issue, and not a Gigabyte motherboard this time since from what i heard they are pretty shit. Plus the one i had that probably is the broken part has no bios button, no on button on the motherboard, no small display for error messages etc so a pain in the ass to troubleshoot.

Nov 21, 2014
Hi, I have had issues with my desktop PC for about a week now. I posted a thread here previously when trying to solve my PC not booting at all no fans spinning no nothing. Now I have replaced the motherboard and it's at least showing signs of life now booting and fans spinning just nothing coming up on the monitor.
Here is a link to the previous post regarding earlier issues in case it can help: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-down-now-refuses-to-power-on-at-all.3476355/
Part list:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage 1: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage 2: Samsung - 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB TURBO Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Fractal Design - Integra M 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

My Motherboard has 4 troubleshooting LED's and i don't know how accurate they are but while trying to fix my problem I noticed the LED for the CPU has been lighting up. So my motherboard is telling me there is something wrong with my CPU. Trying to fix this issue I reinstalled it making sure everything was installed correctly and that none of the pins on the motherboard where bent in the CPU slot.
Unfortunatly, this did not solve the issue.

So does this mean my CPU definitely is dead or could there be another problem? For example, my power supply being burned out, not able to supply enough power for the CPU?

Any help is appreciated a lot! I feel like I am going insane trying to fix this after already having to wait a week for the motherboard to arrive...

Thanks in advance! :)

Nov 21, 2014
Hi, I am currently having issues with my desktop PC (thread here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/desktop-pc-not-booting-help.3478896/#post-21025869) and I am thinking about potentially buying a new prebuilt PC so i can get to gaming again instead of troubleshooting what i have and waiting weeks for parts to arrive to test them only to realize something is still wrong. So what should i buy? Im think I am going to use my old storage on my currently non functional PC and maby using 2 graphic cards (adding the one from my broken PC) and maby even the 2 ram sticks.

So what should i do? Is there any smart way to incorperate them into a prebuilt PC i can buy online or should i just try to sell the parts and buy a completely new desktop PC? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

you can always add an HDD/SSD, you could add your ram as long as there are available ram slots, and you could use your graphics card in SLI if you buy a PC with a 1080, buy an SLI bridge, have a strong enough PSU, and an SLI capable motherboard.

With ram its not best practice to mix and match different kits of ram, its possible that they wouldn't play nice with each other, but you can always try it.