I have a 7 years old assembled desktop.

core i3 3220,
sapphire 7770,
gigabyte b75m,
corsair 4gb 1600mhz * 3,
corsair 430cxv2 PSU
1TB HDD
7200RPM

I am using this desktop without any UPS directly connected to main supply and I haven't faced any issues due to voltage fluctuations.
Now since 2 months i am noticing that desktop restarts due to even minor voltage fluctuations and from last week its almost 2 times every hour.
It is running for 12 hrs everyday since lock-down and before that it was not used much because I used to stay in different city.

I tried using it with 10 years old working UPS whose battery was dead and still faced the restart issue.
After reading some posts it seems PSU is faulty but I am not sure and someone suggested to just get an UPS to solve my problem.
As I will not be staying longer at my hometown(till WFH ends) so I don't wish to invest in a UPS because I heard its battery needs to be replaced every 3 years even it is left idle.
Please suggest what should I buy PSU and UPS both or either items.

the PSU should be future proof as I will upgrade whole system after 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
At 7 years old that PSU is most likely the problem. The CX series was not ever a top of the line PSU anyway. It's apparently time to replace it and the sooner the better before it damages something else in your system.
Hi All,

I have a 7 years old assembled desktop.

core i3 3220,
sapphire 7770,
gigabyte b75m,
corsair 4gb 1600mhz * 3,
corsair 430cxv2 PSU
1TB HDD
7200RPM

I am using this desktop without any UPS directly connected to main supply and I haven't faced any issues due to voltage fluctuations.
Now since 2 months i am noticing that desktop restarts due to even minor voltage fluctuations and from last week its almost 2 times every hour.
It is running for 12 hrs everyday since lock-down and before that it was not used much because I used to stay in different city.

I tried using it with 10 years old working UPS whose battery was dead and still faced the restart issue.
After reading some posts it seems PSU is faulty but I am not sure and someone suggested to just get an UPS to solve my problem.
As I will not be staying longer at my hometown(till WFH ends) so I don't wish to invest in a UPS because I heard its battery needs to be replaced every 3 years even it is left idle.
Please suggest what should I buy PSU and UPS both or either items.

the PSU should be future proof as I will upgrade whole system after 2 years.
Does your PSU have voltage selector at back ?