[SOLVED] Desktop slow after GPU and RAM upgrade

Feb 23, 2019
So I have been facing a very annoying issue for the past 5 weeks! I tried almost everything at my disposal or what i could afford. It is obviously a PC issue (its a desktop) and I am just cornered by problems and unsatisfactory results.
First the details of my PC
OS- Windows 10 1809
Motherboard - Asus P8B75-V (LGA1155)
Processor- Intel core i7-3770
RAM- DDR3 2x8G (1600 mhz) A-data
GPU- msi red dragon NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
hard drive- 1TB hdd WD (no SSD)
power supply-Cooler master 500W
Casing- Aigo Atlantis-ATX ( Air cooled)

Now the problems!
So when I upgraded my GPU from GTX 970 to 1070 and the RAM from 8Gb to 16GB, I happened to experience a much slower performance. While playing games like PUBG, Assassins creed origin, Battlefield 1 and Call of duty black ops 4, my monitor screen blacked out and just minutes later my PC restarted. This made me very uncomfortable and I panicked. So after leaving the PC for several hours, I repeated the gaming process and the same THING happened. My PC was overheating so I bought a new casing with 12 fans with a positive environment setup ( I checked using smoke). No blacking out happened in the first 2 hours so I thought the problem is solved.However, after playing for 4-5 hours straight the same thing happened. I checked the temp using GPU-z the highest was 70-75 Celsius. I have to reduce my screen resolution to 1600x1024. This renders the issue of screen blacking out. WHY????
Second problem is how incredibly slow the PC is after the upgrade. I have twice the RAM and GPU. I expected a fast boot and performance. At this moment my PC take 4 minutes to start and the password screen to desktop process is very slow. I HAVE TO WAIT TO REFRESH THE DAMN SCREEN!!! Something you'd expect from a 2GB core 2 duo !!!
I have tried updating the drivers, BIOS,deleting all the unnecessary software/programs, upgrading my casing and radiator for the processor, applying thermal paste to the GPU and Processor, disabled all the startup programs expect audio drivers.ETC
Please can you help me here to figure this issue out. I am out of ideas and patience. I hope you get the whole idea from this. If any detail is required. Please do ask!

Last edited:
Solution
Hey Can you give me more detail about this.
after burner, what are the numbers/figures confirms whether or not the PC is bottle necking.
Here is link for MSI Afterburner http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip
Download and Install it. Then monitor the performance while running game. If CPU is at 100% and GPU is way below 80% then that is a definite bottleneck.
You can also check temperature your GPU and CPU are hitting while under stress.
Hm... boot times and loading times are really improved with having an SSD; RAM doesn't help on that side of things.

One question for clarity as something seems missing or I'm misreading: "This renders the issue of screen blacking out. " Do you mean that dropping the resolution rules out black screens? Or it makes it worse? Lowering resolution puts more stress on the CPU and lessening the GPU's contribution.

More questions.
Do you get bluescreen errors? Have you configured Windows for crash dumps?
Have you checked Event Viewer to see what warning or error messages there are coinciding with the screen blacking out?
Do you use hardware monitoring software, eg. HWiNFO, to check on things?
What precise model is the power supply?
Have you ran Memtest to see if the RAM and slots are free of errors?

Those are a few things which will hopefully be starting points to help others to help you troubleshoot the problems.

Reactions: arsi_143
Feb 23, 2019
Hm... boot times and loading times are really improved with having an SSD; RAM doesn't help on that side of things.

One question for clarity as something seems missing or I'm misreading: "This renders the issue of screen blacking out. " Do you mean that dropping the resolution rules out black screens? Or it makes it worse? Lowering resolution puts more stress on the CPU and lessening the GPU's contribution.

More questions.
Do you get bluescreen errors? Have you configured Windows for crash dumps?
Have you checked Event Viewer to see what warning or error messages there are coinciding with the screen blacking out?
Do you use hardware monitoring software, eg. HWiNFO, to check on things?
What precise model is the power supply?
Have you ran Memtest to see if the RAM and slots are free of errors?

Those are a few things which will hopefully be starting points to help others to help you troubleshoot the problems.

Thanks for going through the message . Really appreciate this.
The first thing, by render I meant that even after 3-4 hours of constant game play. The screen doesn't blackouts, or the PC doesn't restart. Basically this "Blackening' in this context is the GPU going into protection when it overheats.

Answering your other questions now.
No blue screen error
yes I did and the results are fine
No. I have not used hardware monitoring
The power supply Cooler master Elite ver.3 500W
Nope i havent run any memtests

Hey Can you give me more detail about this.
after burner, what are the numbers/figures confirms whether or not the PC is bottle necking.
Here is link for MSI Afterburner http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip
Download and Install it. Then monitor the performance while running game. If CPU is at 100% and GPU is way below 80% then that is a definite bottleneck.

Reactions: arsi_143
Solution
Feb 23, 2019

Great .. I will share the results here. Thank you so much!
I hope it gives me some ideas to get out of this

Feb 23, 2019

Hey man. Thanks for your time and input . The MSI afterburner worked. I tinkered around with the fan speed essentially by keeping it above 70%,. Played for 6 hours non-stop, No issue. However Cpu was like 40% and GPU temp never went above 74 without the tinkering. does that tell you if it was overclocking ? I will include a pic in case too. Let me know .

Your help is appreciated.. :)
Thank you so much!!