Question Despite Undervolting, no temperature drop (i7-13700HX)

Jan 7, 2024
Hello everyone, i am new to this thing, need some help and guidance. I have a Legion Pro 5i gaming laptop with an i7-13700HX. I have been trying to undervolt my CPU since the temps are going up to 80 °C while playing Control, and around 50-56 °C on idle, also generally for longevity, i don't want to open my laptop and replace the thermal paste in a year or so.

I am using Intel's XTU. On the Core Voltage Offset i have set -0,160 V, during the stress test and while gaming everything was stable, the XTU Benchmark score went even up to around 600 points.

But what did not went down are the temperatures, i am not noticing any drop. I checked on HWiNFO on the Core VIDs, the panel that shown how much voltage the CPU is using, and it dropped from around 1.290 V to 1.150 V while gaming, so the Voltage has been lowered i presume.
What am i missing guys, isn't the lower voltage going to result on lower temps? Is there maybe some other option that i need to tweak in XTU?
Thanks.

Hello everyone, i am new to this thing, need some help and guidance. I have a Legion Pro 5i gaming laptop with an i7-13700HX. I have been trying to undervolt my CPU since the temps are going up to 80 °C while playing Control, and around 50-56 °C on idle, also generally for longevity, i don't want to open my laptop and replace the thermal paste in a year or so.

I am using Intel's XTU. On the Core Voltage Offset i have set -0,160 V, during the stress test and while gaming everything was stable, the XTU Benchmark score went even up to around 600 points.

But what did not went down are the temperatures, i am not noticing any drop. I checked on HWiNFO on the Core VIDs, the panel that shown how much voltage the CPU is using, and it dropped from around 1.290 V to 1.150 V while gaming, so the Voltage has been lowered i presume.
What am i missing guys, isn't the lower voltage going to result on lower temps? Is there maybe some other option that i need to tweak in XTU?
Thanks.
Voltage is not only factor in heating, higher frequency and performance use more energy and that's what heats them up.

@NewVegasTestament
If a CPU is power limit throttling, reducing the voltage will allow the CPU to run faster. Reduced voltage by itself reduces power consumption but a faster CPU increases power consumption right back to where you were before. The result is no change in power consumption and no change in temperatures.

Temperatures over 80C are normal for laptops with HX processors while playing games. The Legion series have better than average cooling compared to most of their competition. Definitely no need to worry about this.

Tommy Sawyer

Reputable
Aug 20, 2021
@NewVegasTestament
If a CPU is power limit throttling, reducing the voltage will allow the CPU to run faster. Reduced voltage by itself reduces power consumption but a faster CPU increases power consumption right back to where you were before. The result is no change in power consumption and no change in temperatures.

Temperatures over 80C are normal for laptops with HX processors while playing games. The Legion series have better than average cooling compared to most of their competition. Definitely no need to worry about this.
I undervolted my i7 13700HX ... to -100, -50, -50 ... and it's has 99c, 1.301v, 119w, while doing a test in Prime95. voltage is good, but temps still high