[SOLVED] Devices new to the network can't connect to most sites (I think)

fatkippy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Basically, I upgraded 3 out of 4 machines to windows 10 from Windows 7 in a friend's workplace.

After doing so, I realized pretty quickly that none of the upgraded machines can access most sites. Google is fine mostly, but sites like Firefox's page, bit defender and any forums are inaccessible.

I thought maybe it was an issue with the upgraded PCs, but I then tried connecting to the router with my phone.

The same problem occurred. I clearly had a connection and could access some online content, but it was very limited, not allowing the same sites (though in some cases, it gave a very stripped down text version of the site)

All I can think is that the guy who set up their systems ages ago put some kind of whitelist on the devices via the router settings, but I've been unable to find any such option that's activated. (BT Business Hub 5)

The PC I haven't upgraded can still connect to all these sites and the 3 I upgraded could previously.

There is a TP link bridge in the network, but one of the machines wired straight into the router has the same issues so it seems irrelevant.

I'm sorry I can't provide many details, I currently don't have access to the machines. I'm stumped and figured maybe there's some simple fix here that my dumb ass can't think of.

I've tried simple things like /flushdns and have pinged servers of sites I can't access successfully.

The message I receive when trying to connect is: This site can't be reached. Server IP address could not be found.

TL;dr see title.

Thanks!

fatkippy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Make sure your DNS settings on the router and each of the PCs match.

Solved!

It was literally just a case of manually entering in the IP plus an assigned port for each PC.

Can't understand why that's necessary and it doesn't really fix the problem for new devices connecting.

But at least they're functioning now.

Thanks for your help!