[SOLVED] DHCP not functioning correctly. Weird router.

K1ngpwn02

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Hi all,

So I'm currently back from college with my folks due to the quarantine. They recently got some kind of strange router from a company called gotw3. Apparently this thing is essentially an unlimited mobile data hotspot- it's basically just a box with two antennas, an ethernet port, and a sim card slot. I believe it's connecting to the T Mobile network.

I'm currently running ethernet from this thing through a powerline adapter to my windows 10 PC. Every single day, I'll boot up my PC and have no IP address configuration, which means no internet. It seems like DHCP isn't quite functioning correctly. The only reliable solution I have found is to reboot the router itself twice (this DOES work), but my family is starting to get really pissy about it, and frankly I'm getting sick of having to find times when no one is in a zoom meeting. However, once I reboot the router, my connection stays fine for the entire day.

Here are some things I've tried with my PC itself to fix the issue:

-Running ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flush in multiple combinations to no avail
-I've tried to restart the DHCP service but it throws me error 5 (access denied). I have tried editing the registry and adding myself, the network, all users, the admin, the firewall (both to the DHCP configuration and DHCP keys, as well as the tcpip key). No dice.
-All the typical netsh resets
-Unplugging/replugging powerline adapters, ethernet at every point, PC, etc.
-Disabling fast startup
-Reinstalling ethernet driver
-Windows network diagnostics
-Static IP (I contacted the manufacturer of the router and they said it has some kind of dynamic IP function and that static IPs won't work)
-Uninstalling nordVPN and trying previous solutions

I am kindof at my wit's end here. Is there not a solution that won't have my family at my neck?

Also worth noting that this router appears to be doing some weird things with proxies or VPN tunneling or something of the sort, because all my devices recognize it as a new network every other day or so.

Last edited:
Solution
Heya,

Not familiar with this specific box,
There might be an option of static address assignment for DHCP clients, you may try assigning yourself one.
You also mentioned that “ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew” returns an error - you have to run the command prompt as admin to avoid that (right click the task bar on the window > run as admin)
Heya,

There might be an option of static address assignment for DHCP clients, you may try assigning yourself one.
You also mentioned that “ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew” returns an error - you have to run the command prompt as admin to avoid that (right click the task bar on the window > run as admin)

Reactions: K1ngpwn02
Solution

K1ngpwn02

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Heya,

Hi!

Yep, I have been running the ipconfigs with an elevated command prompt already, sorry didn't include that detail.

I will look into the static DHCP assignment and let you know how it goes.