Question Did I Just Brick my MotherBoard?

JudithWright

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
My PC has an XEON E5-2690 CPU with an X79 motherboard and NVIDIA K2200 Video Card.
System uses the American MegaTrends BIOS.

I installed Windows 10 without any problems and changed the all of the CSM BIOS settings to UEFI.

It was strange because when I tried to Disable CSM, it would show a message saying "CSM can't be Disabled because Video is in Legacy Mode"

But this wasn't true - it was set to "UEFI Only".

I wasn't sure what to do at that point, so I changed that setting to "UEFI First"

Now, when I try to restart the computer - nothing happens.

The weirdest part is that I can't even get into BIOS.
After pressing the power button, the system stays on the BIOS screen, beeps once (which happens three different times), and then the monitor display simply cuts off.

All lights on the PC, keyboard, and mouse turn on and seem to be working normally - but Windows 10 refuses to start.

Why is this happening?
Did I just brick this motherboard?

DavidM012

Distinguished
No I don't think so just power off the mains and clear the cmos jumper or remove the coin battery for 30 secs to clear cmos to default.

Dunno maybe some older gpus are not uefi compliant and need legacy mode to boot or something. Because you aren't using typical desktop PC components as the Xeon and k2200 are more workstation components.

There are ways to brick mobo such as installing the wrong bios or interrupting the bios update process by a badly timed power cut but this isn't that.

As to the ins and outs of uefi compliance or not, well don't know about the Xeon and K series gpu but if it was working before in legacy mode just leave it that way and it should just work with the bios defaults. Probably.

Reactions: JudithWright