Did XFX 9600GT works with iBall generic 400w PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't do it. The 9600GT needs 8A for itself, and the CPU usually needs 95. Then there's HDD's and everything..
Get an HD5670. It'll use around 5a, leaving 12 for the CPU and everything else. Though if your CPU is a phenom ii or heavily overclocked, you're done.

Aneesh@4GHz

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Its not for me,Its for my friend,His config is

Dual Core 2GHz
P5KPL AM PS(Going to buy this week)
XFX 9600GT 1Gb (Going to buy this week)
160GB seagate IDE hdd
Sony sata dvd-rw
and 2 80mm local case fans with the IBALL 400wat generic psu!

Gupeez

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
The answer is, you're probably right at the power supply's limit with that configuration. On my old system, I ran a dual core overclocked to 2.4 GHz, SATA DVD & HDD and several case-fans with my PNY 9600GT 1GB. I used a 430W Thermaltake TR2 (Newegg link here) and had zero problems even though that power supply wasn't even 80 plus certified, but it was because the PS had a lot of amps (29A) on the 12V rails. Make sure you have at least 25A on the 12V rail(s)... 20A at the bare minimum. I'm trying to find definitive info on your power supply, but I'm finding conflicting info... easiest thing to do is read the label on it. It probably has two 12V rails, so just add up the number of Amps for both. If it's at or below 20A (25A if you want to be sure), I wouldn't even try... just spend $30 on a decent low-end power supply (here's just one suggestion for $25, free shipping). Hope that helps.

iholbrookv2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Ya man I have a 580 Watt PSU running:

GTX 260

AMD Atholon 2 x 2 Dual core @ 3.0Ghz

3Gig's of Ram in Dual Channel @ 800Mhz

160Gig HDD

DVD Burner

WiFi Card B,G, and N

AM3 Gigabyte MotherBoard all on 580 Watts from newegg I only spent like $25 on.

4745454b

Titan
The problem is none of the PSUs your listing are of good quality. The parts inside of them, if they are even there, will be cheap. This means when stressed, the voltage might be out of range, or have a bad ripple. The Corsair 400W will power the 9600GT with ease, but an "iBall" 450W could have trouble.

4745454b

Titan
easiest thing to do is read the label on it. It probably has two 12V rails, so just add up the number of Amps for both.

Except it doesn't work that way. You can't just add the two (or more) numbers together to get the total output. Take my Delta based Earthwatts 500W PSU for example. "Two" 12v rails, each rated at 22A. According to you I should have 44A but I don't. There is a little note right beneath the PSU chart that says 12v1 and 12v2 can only output 408W at the same time. This comes out to 34A. Each rail by itself might be 22A, but the source feeding them both is only capable of sending 34A total. Another way to show thats wrong is that 44A x 12V = 528W, which is more then a 500W PSU can do.

The PSU you linked isn't any better then the ones he's suggested already. Has the red voltage selector switch, so its based on an old design. This is farther backed up by the use of an 80mm fan and 75% efficiency. It also has to much power available on the 3.3 and 5v rails, and no info on how much power is on the 12v1 and 12v2 rails total. I wouldn't use that PSU.

iholbrookv2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

True True! I can give you a list of every good power supply on newegg.com in your price range. So whats the amount your willing to spend?

To be honest most the veterans on this site are very true about what they say, but in my case I bought a cheap PSU off of newegg and scored, but I had to plug and pray that nothing bad would happen. You always take a chance when buying a PSU.

iholbrookv2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

I was thinking that you could look on tigerdirect.com or newegg.com and find a PSU for your computer and then post the web address or link here and we can tell you if that would work well with your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.