Die-Shot: Next-Gen 8-Core AMD Orochi Bulldozer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madeux

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]It's well known around many other sites that this has been photoshopped by AMD to keep the logic hidden from competitors.[/citation]

I hardly think Intel is looking to copy anything from AMD at this point. Why would they want to step backward like that?

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]madeux[/nom]I hardly think Intel is looking to copy anything from AMD at this point. Why would they want to step backward like that?[/citation]

You actually think Intel is the king of all processor technology and AMD has absolutely no valuable ideas/patents of their own?

tony singh

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
So much new hardware coming nowadays...when will the software mature? Run winzip on it & its 7 cores will remain dormant, whats the use without proper software..

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Nice to see things still moving forward, maybe Intel will have some upcoming compition. I just hope that we get software and mainly games optimized for this many core's, and not just business type apps.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
WoW, where and when can i get one. I think Im going AMD.... for a short while until Intel can come out with cheaper 6 cores or even cheap 8 cores, eventually...... man, ive had intel all my life too!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
So what is the real release date?

Sandy Bridge (as reviewed by Anand) will be out within 5 months (DEC 10/Jan 11) and has at least a 20% clock-per-clock advantage over Core i7 Extreme while using substantially less power.

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]tony singh[/nom]So much new hardware coming nowadays...when will the software mature? Run winzip on it & its 7 cores will remain dormant, whats the use without proper software..[/citation]
Who still uses WinZip? Really though, 7-Zip is far superior and offers a native 64-bit version. You should have upgraded years ago when WinZip complained that the trial period has ended yet still allows you to extract files.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Sounds goodLooks goodSmells goodFeels goodTastes goodAll we need now is a simple benchmark and a price - here's the thing, if it can beat the 6 core i7-980 but costs less then you have an instant winner.Price vs performance is King.Trying to impress with higher clock speeds went out of fashion with P4's at 3.8Ghz.[/citation]

Considering it was AMD who was hosting the big Athalon XP giveaways to dispel the "Megahertz Myth." I was lucky, 1st event in SF, 200 CPUs/MBs, 400 people showed up. 2nd in Seattle, 150 CPUs, 2000 people.

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]tony singh[/nom]So much new hardware coming nowadays...when will the software mature? Run winzip on it & its 7 cores will remain dormant, whats the use without proper software..[/citation]

Use an archiver that doesn't suck then. 7-Zip has the ability to use multiple threads pretty well. You might not have heard of it, it's a recent development, just added in 2003.

Just like with a 1090T Thuban vs an i7-930 Nehalem (there are no Westmeres at Thuban's price point), Intel will have better single-thread performance at a price point, AMD will kick it around in applications that can make full use of all 6/8 cores.

drhenks

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]It's well known around many other sites that this has been photoshopped by AMD to keep the logic hidden from competitors.EDIT** Because I got down rated by someone who obviously has no idea about this topic. Here is a very reputable site that is frequented by engineers from AMD and Intel, alike.http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/19576I was down rated by a person who claims Intel can learn nothing from AMD.[/citation]

What do you expect to learn about the logic of this processor from a low-res image like that? Each of the pixels in that image represents the average color of thousands of transistors. It doesn't seem like there's much need to cover anything up...

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]madeux[/nom]I hardly think Intel is looking to copy anything from AMD at this point. Why would they want to step backward like that?[/citation]
Wow... just wow. Please say you're just kidding...

ares1214

Splendid

Intel and AMD frequently share technology, just one time intel got screwed, stole the tech from AMD, and got fined. Thats what brought AMD out from the Phenom mess, into Phenom and Athlon 2. So actually, intel has a lot to learn from AMD, AMD has a lot to learn from intel, dont be so ignorant.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've always been an Intel fan, but AMD is making some great strides lately. I'm not sure if this is enough of a reason to think about a switch to AMD, yet it's still nice to see some great looking stuff from them.

danieth

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Congrats AMD. I hope AMD will stick to it's lower cost / same power / less unimportant features. Maybe we will see some derivatives like the Propus (no cache, lower clock, locked multiplier), which would make there processors even cheaper.

G

I am rather only interested in faster CPU's than more cores. Anything Over 4 Ghz would be exciting for me to have.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Bulldozer was designed to compete with what intel has out now. Intel will all be on Sandybridge by Q4 leaving AMD a generation behind....again.[/citation]
Will it? There are no real Sandybridge benchmarks yet either.
You say Bulldozer is designed to compete with what they already have, if it turns out to be better than Sandybridge will you eat humble pie?
I have a Core i7 and I love it, but next time I upgrade my money goes to the current performance king, if that is AMD then I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.