Question Disabled CPU cores and laptop won't fully boot.

DutchBakery

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Yeah.
The other day I decided to do a special type of benchmark test!
So I enabled the maximum amount of cores (via msconfig of course) as I could and hit apply and restarted the laptop.
I did the benchmark test and it ran perfectly. I have never gotten a better score than I did then!
I then let the pc sit idle for a 2 hours after the benchmark was done(come back to this later)
I then went back to disable most of the enabled cores and went back to 1 core for better gaming performance!
I lowered the amount from what I had to 1 and hit apply and restarted the laptop!
This is when my problems arised!
The laptop then said "preparing automatic repair" and the screen went blue.
I am now left with my blue screen where I can continue and enter windows recovery environment and the other options.

I now know that I by accident enabled 8 cores to be active when I only have 4.
I am aware that this is a huge f-up but I still need help.

I have now factory reset the computer(didn't work)
I have tried to reset the pc to an earlier point(didn't work)

PC Asus rog g752 vsk.
CPU Intel® Core™ i7 7700HQ Processor

I do have a different computer for work and such so it's not that urgent but would still be great to get some help.

Thanks!

FYI.
I am able to access the advanced startup menu if that helps anyone!

Last edited:

DutchBakery

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Yeah.
The other day I decided to do a special type of benchmark test!
So I enabled the maximum amount of cores (via msconfig of course) as I could and hit apply and restarted the laptop.
I did the benchmark test and it ran perfectly. I have never gotten a better score than I did then!
I then let the pc sit idle for a 2 hours after the benchmark was done(come back to this later)
I then went back to disable most of the enabled cores and went back to 1 core for better gaming performance!
I lowered the amount from what I had to 1 and hit apply and restarted the laptop!
This is when my problems arised!
The laptop then said "preparing automatic repair" and the screen went blue.
I am now left with my blue screen where I can continue and enter windows recovery environment and the other options.

I now know that I by accident enabled 8 cores to be active when I only have 4.
I am aware that this is a huge f-up but I still need help.

I have now factory reset the computer(didn't work)
I have tried to reset the pc to an earlier point(didn't work)

PC Asus rog g752 vsk.
CPU Intel® Core™ i7 7700HQ Processor

I do have a different computer for work and such so it's not that urgent but would still be great to get some help.

Thanks!

FYI.
I am able to access the advanced startup menu if that helps anyone!

USAFRet

Titan
Ya know...when that box is Unchecked and the number dropdown is greyed out, that is the default and it means ALL processors.
Not 1.

Like this.
aV5qnrG.png

If you can get to that screen, Uncheck that box.

Reactions: DutchBakery

DutchBakery

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Thanks for the tip, but the pc won't boot into the home page. It automaticaly goes into repair mode, i'm able to access the bios if that helps?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, but the pc won't boot into the home page. It automaticaly goes into repair mode, i'm able to access the bios if that helps?
Try watching a tutorial on how to boot onto safe mode from repair mode, and see if you can open msconfig from there. Then just make it look like how USAFret had it. And don't mess with your cores, cause if you don't know what you're doing you could make the same mistake twice.