Question Disappearing text and games crashes, can’t install GeForce Experience either

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I’m trying to help my friend who bought a pre-owned computer. The last owner said he had some problem installing GeForce Experience and sometimes drivers so he sold it cheap for 500$.

We thought it would be an easy fix but turns out we were wrong.

Nothing wrong when you stay in BIOS so I have a feeling that the problem is software related. Original the computer came with Windows 11, but I changed it to windows 10 to see if it would fix the problem. It didn’t

The problem is: Disappearing text in some apps like MSI afterburner, programs closes themselves, can’t start games (sometimes it gives me a runtime 217 error). Can’t install epic games (just says error) and steam won’t connect to the internet after I start up the computer.

I have checked all the cables, replugged the GPU, updated bios, made a factory reset from USB and tried with another HDD. Used a ddu and installed drivers from safe boot after a factory reset.

But the problem still exists

Specs: Asus Rtx 2070 Dual 8GB

Ryzen 7 2700x

16GB 2666MHz RAM

Corsair TX750M

Asus TUF B450M-PRO S

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Yes, I went into safe mode and removed the drivers, restarted the computer without internet and installed the new drivers.

I got the latest bios from Asus website.

I’m not sure, maybe I have to update the chipset drivers as well!

I can check the windows version after work, around 5 pm. But I know i have tested with both windows 10 home and pro. Don’t know the exact version tho!
I will update as soon as I come home.

From the beginning I used a SSD from Samsung, 870 I think. But then I tried to remove it and replace it with a HDD from seagate. I installed windows on it (because it was empty) with a USB but as soon as I logged in and tried to install MSI afterburner, the problems showed up

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I’ll try it when I come home!
It was the only disc I had that were empty, so I replaced it to see if I clean disc with just windows on it would make any difference.

Yes I understand that, but I can’t look it up right now. I have to do it after work! So I just mentioned the version if it would make any difference! :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh, i didn't understand it was to test if it was still happening. I read it as saying the problem only started after swapping the drives

if it happens on both drives... thats odd

when you get home, run this overnight once you go to sleep
Prime 95 - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/
it will check CPU, ram and power supply.

This could fix runtime errors but I don't think problem is windows, not if it happens on 2 drives
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Reactions: Onkel18

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I ran Powershell with those commands you wrote, and got the following:

Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

And this by sfc/scannow :

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you restart after sfc ran? some fixes need a restart to work.
it won't fix the drive thing but it might help windows.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...ing/TUF-GAMING-B450M-PRO-S/HelpDesk_Download/ - just for future reference.

16GB 2666MHz RAM
who made the ram?

unless you get rounding errors in Prime 95, I would run this the next night as it can take a while to run too - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

something on your PC is the cause of the problem, we just have to find it.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
did you restart after sfc ran?

Yes i did, some graphic bug in form of a black box showed up after I restarted it. But disappeared as fast. At least I could install Microsoft Visual c++ without it failing

The RAM is HyperX Fury, I lowered the speed (3200 before) just to see if it would make any difference. Two sticks of 8GB

I write this on the phone because the web browser keep on freezing so I have to close it like once in 2 minutes…

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes i did, some graphic bug in form of a black box showed up after I restarted it. But disappeared as fast.
could have been command prompt or powershell if it flashed on and off at start, sounds like them. Probably part of previous process.

if its freezing, you probably want to use this version of Prime and remove windows from story - Prime 95 Bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

We need to fix hardware before you can really use PC. I only suggested running at night to let you use PC, but if its freezing there is no point. Best to figure out problem.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
We need to fix hardware before you can really use PC. I only suggested running at night to let you use PC, but if its freezing there is no point. Best to figure out problem.

It is just the Web browser that freezes, not the whole computer. Maybe it has something to do with internet? Because steam won’t connect to internet either, just if I go into the windows firewall and delete it and then let it through again. Seems like I have to do it every boot.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I ran memtest86 yesterday with no errors, tried one stick at the time and they went 4/4 with 0 errors.
Then I ran the Prime95 test this night until now. Ran into one error that says:

“FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4920196533, expected less then 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 4K FFT size, consult stress.txt file”

It happened 7 minutes in according to the log!

I restarted the computer and began a new test this morning. So this time I will let it run until evening when I come home from work.

PS, the computer were in sleeping mode this morning if it does any difference. Maybe it doesn’t but I write it if it does! :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
To fix rounding you add more voltage to the RAM in BIOS
Only add one increment at a time, and keep running Prime until you stop getting rounding errors,

lucky you not getting BSOD really.

Rounding might be cause of many of your problems. It wouldn't help to have unstable ram, make all sorts of things not work.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Thank you so much for all the help! I’ll test to increase the voltage when I come home from work! Then I’ll write here if it fixed it or not :)

Have a good day

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I’m home now, saw the result from Prime95 that I let run over the day.
This time there wasn’t no error? Every worker said zero errors.

So I quit the test, restarted the computer into bios and raised the voltage I little bit. The computer felt more responsive but there were more “artifacts” after a while. So it didn’t fix the problem :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
but there were more “artifacts” after a while.
what do you mean?

I don't know if raising it was necessary if it passed on previous.

I would run prime a 3rd time, as so far once it failed and once it passed... so seems inconsistent. Prefer a 3rd opinion really.

I wonder if cause might be the PSU.
So ram passes
I doubt its the GPU as it can't stop things installing (apart from maybe Geforce experience)
no tests for motherboards.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
what do you mean?

For exempel, a black window (like explorer) that flimmer if I drag my mouse over certain places.

I ran a shorter test of Prime95 again, and got an Error. It says:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.499998954, expected less then 0.4.
Hardware failure detected running 6K FFT size

So this time it said 6K FFT size, while the first error said 4K FFT. I don’t know if it’s a big difference?

Colif

Win 11 Master
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.499998954, expected less then 0.4.
Hardware failure detected running 6K FFT size
Most of the time, adding voltage to ram is answer but...
Prime95's stress test feature can be configured to test various system components by changing the FFT size. There are three pre-set configurations available:
  • Small FFTs (Primarily tests FPU and CPU caches)
  • In-Place FFTs (Maximum power consumption; tests FPU and CPU caches, some RAM)
  • Blend (Tests everything including RAM)
On a completely stable system Prime95 will run indefinitely. If an error occurs the stress test will terminate indicating the system may be unstable.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16474-prime95-stress-test-your-cpu.html

From what I can tell, 4k & 6k are small FFT

If you only running small it could be the CPU. So you need to give CPU more voltage, not the ram (memory controller is on CPU)

Don't download anything, just for advice:

Last edited:

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I ran a small FFT test over the day, and one error popped up! Same text but 80K instead…..

Then I tried to raise the voltage on the CPU, but then when I boot the computer, it goes to “starting repairing windows” or just a black screen.

The screen turns black directly after boot screen and then my monitor says it doesn’t recognize an input?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you still got windows on the ssd? could put it in. I think its just windows messed up from the unexpected shutdowns

it goes to “starting repairing windows”
sounds like its on auto
its possible auto is default, it should swap boot method on a restart if it can't find a drive.
there are 2 boot methods, your PC swaps between them if it can't find the other. blank screen means it can't find that type

CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
This item allows you to configure the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) items to fully support the various VGA, bootable devices and add-on devices for better compatibility.

Launch CSM
[Auto] The system automatically detects the bootable devices and the add- on devices.
[Enabled] For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows® UEFI mode.
[Disabled] Disable the CSM to fully support the Windows® the Windows secure update and secure boot.

Asus manuals for B boards never have any info for the bios in them, so You use the X boards as they show way more - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E14093_ROG_STRIX_X470-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
might need that to fix boot after reset

might have to go into bios/advanced view/boot tab
scroll down to CSM and change it ... but it helps to know what its set to.

what happens in the repair windows screens?

now its possible windows got corrupted from all the times you unplugged PC. It can happen because win 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down, its in a hibernate state and there is still power on. Unplugging it in this state can corrupt files.

Is windows on the ssd still? could just put it in?
ottherwise

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive if nothing else.

anything on PC he needs to save?
put Win 10 installer into a USB slot
in bios, go to bios/advanced view/boot tab
scroll down and choose Boot Override
pick the USB from the list, PC will restart and boot from USB

LIST]

[*]on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

[*]choose troubleshoot

[*]choose advanced

[*]choose command prompt

[*]type notepad and press enter

[*]in notepad, select file>open

[*]Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or amother hdd

[/LIST]

if he can copy anything off PC he needs to keep, try a clean install
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The screen turns black directly after boot screen and then my monitor says it doesn’t recognize an input?
if you only getting that and not windows repair now
you probably need to reset CMOS

it will set bios back to defaults. Might let you back in though the boot method might change and show errors saying it can't find the drive but we deal with that once it works

unplug pc before you do it.
It should be similar to this, your manual doesn't tell me how.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYVnWPuEvzI

just take battery out for about 10 minutes and then put it back in again.

@helper800 its memory or CPU, the PC failing prime95, we just trying to stop that.