Disk at 100%, System using it all

jleon01l

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
To explain the title better, I've been having some issues with the disk on my computer (that I built a few months ago) running at 100%. I just started it after having it off for the night, and it went straight up, before I had even opened anything. When I looked at the task manager list for it, it showed System being the biggest eater (until I ran an antivirus scan, then that took the spot, but System was still pretty high compared to anything else). I was wondering if someone could tell me what the heck could be happening with this, because I don't think it's supposed to be doing that... lol.

Solution
Hi there jleon01l,

What is your OS? Depending on that, this high disk usage, could be caused by different OS services.
Apart from that, you can:
- Test your drive. Just back up the data if there's something wrong with it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
- Attach it with different cables (sometimes faulty cables could cause high disk usage) to another SATA port, that is perhaps, on another controller.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

jleon01l

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
(For some reason wasn't able to type in edit, sorry)

I just found something saying to turn off superfetch, so I did. Can't know if it'll help until the virus scan is done though, since it's still at 100%. System still seems to be running high though, but that could just be to me, because of my lack of knowledge about it.

tiderider77

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010

First of all, What size HD do you have in the system & is it a SSD or standard spinning platter HD? It sounds like Your Drive is not that large in volume, if this is the case I can tell you where to look & see what is using up so much of your disk resources, but I need to know the size of your HD first. Also what OS? 32 or 64 Bit?

Hi there jleon01l,

What is your OS? Depending on that, this high disk usage, could be caused by different OS services.
Apart from that, you can:
- Test your drive. Just back up the data if there's something wrong with it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
- Attach it with different cables (sometimes faulty cables could cause high disk usage) to another SATA port, that is perhaps, on another controller.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

Brandon_77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
I just got a laptop and tried everything suggested and ended up figuring out my 100% disk usage spikes on me own. I used Resource Monitor and found the out of control process, looked at the file path and saw Windows.Photo - I know Themes have bogged down performance on other OS's, so I googled how to disable them on Windows 10. Now, I unchecked them, because I don't care about it. Boom. No more spiking. Sits between 0-10% now.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-visual-effects-windows

Jared_31

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
I see this problem all the time with machines that upgraded to windows 10. Unindexing the HDD usually does the trick.
File Explorer--> Right click on boot drive --> Properties --> Uncheck the box at the bottom that says "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" Usually takes about 30-45 minutes but works about %75 of the time. Write back if it works please.