[SOLVED] Diskspace of SSD (Windows 10, C:) keeps getting smaller and smaller every second and resets.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
image.png

- Microsoft introduces five bins to sort files for recycling

I am this close to burning a copy of windows 10 in front of the microsoft hq.
Ever since some majour update, a long time ago, no matter how often I fully format all drives, windows keeps screwing up.

I have 2 drives, C: (SSD, OS WIndows10), and my HDD.
Sometimes, my C: drive will, for absolutely no reason, randomly get smaller and smaller in size (like 300MB every 2-3 sec when clicking on refresh in Windows Explorer), after it reaches a few hundred megabytes, the number climbs back to the original / real size and starts all over again.
Firefox starts EXTREMELY slowly, it takes a couple of seconds for the window to even appear and then it completely freezes up for another few moments.

I have run Bitdefender Total Security's System Scan on it multiple times for hours, it finds nothing.
I did not install some weird fake download button link or torrent, I am working with C++ and CheatEngine though I doubt the CE setup has been hacked/hijacked recently.
What I did though Windows did, recently, somewhat coincidentially when it all started, is install that Version 20H something update. That's when things started to go funky.

As we speak, the drive jumped, when I wrote "extremely slowly" from 22.4 GB to 22.3 GB available and now it just jumped back to 22.4 GB free......

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds exactly like the pagefile ramping up and down.
Maybe not even "using it", just Windows thinks it may be needed in the near future.

'memory leak' speaks to RAM usage. Not drive space.

USAFRet

Titan
That was just an example, when it hits, the drive size shrinks by hundreds of MB each 2-3 sec.
And still, easily the pagefile up and down.

"hundreds of MB" is fractions of a GB.

Also, a rounding error.
1.4 may round down to 1, 1.6 may round up to 2.
In reality, only 0.2 difference.

As above, see what is actually using the drive at that moment.

Reactions: ikernelpro4

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
And still, easily the pagefile up and down.

"hundreds of MB" is fractions of a GB.

Also, a rounding error.
1.4 may round down to 1, 1.6 may round up to 2.
In reality, only 0.2 difference.

As above, see what is actually using the drive at that moment.
As stated in the opening post, this process of losing hundreds of megabytes happens like a while loop until it reaches ~0 and jumps back to the original size.
its like running or copying something and runs out of memory and jumps back to dumping all data off (memory leak?).

So far I've not seen it happen, maybe a program or folder triggers it, will keep you updated.