Question Display glitches/solid color when installing GPU drivers on a fresh OS installation ?

Feb 12, 2023
Doing my first AMD build since the Bulldozer days. I've attached an image at the bottom for clarifications, but the gist of the story is this:

Every time I install the video drivers, my screen glitches and turns to a mostly solid color. The GPU itself is fine. I just pulled it out of my personal rig, and tested it in my wife's rig after I started having trouble. I've also updated the BIOS for the mobo. I get picture in safe mode. I've tried to clean install, I've done completely new installs, and using different SSDs. Is there a special trick to get nVidia and AMD to play nice? Any ideas/help are welcome! Thanks!

CPU: AMD 5600x
Motherboard: MSI B550M-VC Wifi
Ram: Gskill Ripjaw Vs 3200 (A-XMP enabled)
SSD/HDD: Sandisk Plus 2TB
GPU: RTX 3090
PSU: Corsair RM850X
Chassis: n/a, still sitting on top of the mobo box
Monitor: Sony 4k... it's late and I can't remember the model number. Using DP to HDMI adapter. get the same problem even if going HDMI to HDMI.

Feb 12, 2023
Try a different monitor,
try a different video cable.

Not all cables/adapters can do 4k.

Thanks for responding back. If anybody else is having the same kind of issue, here's what I found out:

HDMI cables are and ports are only part of the problem. I am using the 4K 120 port (one that I have used in the past with no issue) and cycled through all my HDMI cables with no luck. I returned to my original cable, the one that I knew should work because it was the same one I used previously. Then on a whim, I went into my TVs settings, and cycled through them all. The only way to get output for me was to set my TV to variable refresh rate at 1080p, which is the last option on the list. It could be that the cable is not capable of 4k 120, or maybe the TV isn't for some reason. I still need to explore that a bit.