[SOLVED] Display Port connection not working

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
I have been using a TV as a monitor through HDMI for a long time so I bought a MSI Optix MAG271C monitor and went to set it up today using DP but my GPU (RTX 2060) won't recognize the DP adapter, I can get it to work using HDMI just fine. I tried 2 different cable with the same result. I've looked online and followed what I could find but the GPU doesn't even seem to show the cable is connected. I read somewhere it may have to do with the fact the monitor is freesync and I'm using an NVIDIA GPU but there's no setting to turn it off on the monitor. I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
Make sure Displayport is properly connected and locked in both ports with it's locking teeth, shouldn't easily be pulled out like Hdmi.

Disconnect Hdmi cable completely from monitor and graphics card.

See the op's edit and what he did.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/bhtbvb/msi_optix_mag241c_displayport_not_working_but/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
I'll try again but it sounds like his issue was the monitor not picking up the signal, mine is the GPU doesn't output anything because it's not showing it's plugged in. I have the same GPU and monitor as the post so it can't hurt

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try power down the computer for the same amount of time. Hopefully by resetting monitor and fresh boot completes the negotiation between gpu and monitor.

If you don't get a display try boot the pc first followed by the monitor a few seconds later.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So you tried this exactly?

Power down both pc and monitor (disconnect power cable from monitor) for 15mins.

Disconnect all video cables from pc and monitor.

After 15mins, connect only Displayport cable. Plug power back into monitor.

Turn pc on then monitor 3 seconds later.

--

Both ends of the Displayport cable do lock in properly?

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

Power down both pc and monitor (disconnect power cable from monitor) for 15mins.

--

Yeah both cables lock in fully but idk if it was fully 15 min. I have some laundry to do soon so I'll try it then and report back

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

--

So I tried everything last night with no luck and gave up deciding to just use HDMI. I had the HDMI and DP both connected when I powered off the PC and went to bed. This morning I turned the PC on and it just defaulted to DP lol. I don't understand because I tried turning it off for almost and hour last night but it's working so I'm not going to question it. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Brian_180

Reputable
Dec 9, 2016
Sorry for the necro but I just have to say this is the first time in my 20+ years of computing that I looked up an answer and the solution I found actually worked. Thanks guys.

Jul 19, 2021
Hello, But when you turned on your pc, that you had no video signal with the dplayport cable, did you hear acoustic beeps too? One long beep and three short beeps?
Thanks

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
Hello, But when you turned on your pc, that you had no video signal with the dplayport cable, did you hear acoustic beeps too? One long beep and three short beeps?
Thanks
No I didn't. If you are hearing beeps it usually means there's an issue with something in the PC. By looking up that post code it looks like there's an issue with the ram. It's either in the wrong slots, not seated properly or dead. I would take the RAM out and double check with the motherboard manual that they are in the right slots and that the RAM sticks are fully inserted and click into place. If this doesn't fix it, if you have access to other RAM try to use that or return it for a replacement.