Question Display Port Hub - Does it degrade quality?

Joe335

Honorable
Jun 1, 2014
Hi! I have a 2080ti GPU that has 3 DP connections and 1 HDMI. I have a triple monitor set up for my sim rig, but also have a desk with a 3440 x 1440 monitor for FPS games. Because HDMI doesn't run higher than 60mhz, is it possible to somehow to use a DP hub of sorts to run the 3 monitors into, which could free up a DP port on my GPU to run the desktop monitor?
I'm concerned that if a hub even exists, it will degrade the quality too much to even consider this set up.. I'm not certain what else to do in order to achieve a higher through-put.

Hopefully this makes sense..thanks!

It doesn't affect quality. But you can't attach more monitors than what is possible with a single port. Most hubs only support HBR2 which means maximum of a single 4K 60 Hz or two 2560×1440 @ 60 Hz displays.

HDMI isn't limited to 60 Hz either, just depends on the specific monitor.

Joe335

Honorable
Jun 1, 2014
It doesn't affect quality. But you can't attach more monitors than what is possible with a single port. Most hubs only support HBR2 which means maximum of a single 4K 60 Hz or two 2560×1440 @ 60 Hz displays.

HDMI isn't limited to 60 Hz either, just depends on the specific monitor.

Interesting. From what I've read, at my resolution with the ultra-wide, HDMI is limited. I've tried numerous cables, attempted to change the resolution within the display config on Windows, my Nvidia Control Panel. I can never get it over 60hz with HDMI. If I swap the cables out and add a DP cable, I can get it's full 100hz.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll continue to utilize the HDMI.

Interesting. From what I've read, at my resolution with the ultra-wide, HDMI is limited. I've tried numerous cables, attempted to change the resolution within the display config on Windows, my Nvidia Control Panel. I can never get it over 60hz with HDMI. If I swap the cables out and add a DP cable, I can get it's full 100hz.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll continue to utilize the HDMI.
Your monitor is probably limited on your monitor then, unfortunately.